Is it worth buying better eyepieces.

Hi,

I recently bought a 2nd hand Celestron 127 powerseeker scope to see how i get on with this hobby, doing ok and enjoying it.

replace the eyepieces that came with it with a few plossl at around the £40 mark.

With this kind of scope would i see much benefit from buying a better quality ep (i.e.baader hyperion thats for sale) or would the scope limit whats it worth buying.

many thanks

Do you mind me asking which Plossls you bought? I only ask as the Hyperion will struggle to beat a good Plossl for optical quality and £40 each should have bought a good plossl. What it does offer is a wider field of view and a more comfortable viewing experience.

I agree with John, the Omni is okay and the Chinese Meade is okay but not brilliant. Had it been the Nexstar, Ultima or something of that quality the Hyperion would have been struggling to beat it for ultimate performance.

John has just done a review of the Hyperion, so knows better than i do but my fav of the entire range was the 17mm. I know others say the 13mm is the best. The 13mm would certainly be a perfect workhorse for your scope, providing 78x and 0.86deg field of view.

Personally i would pass over the 5mm and 8mm in favour of the TMB Planetary equivalent and save yourself a bundle to boot. £95 vs £36.

Thanks for your replies, wanted one around the 13 to 15 mm size, anyway have managed to find a new 13mm hyperion with a bit of discount so having that. Decided i wanted to try one ep with a decent quality to see the difference.

I also have the 13mm Hyperion and this is my workhorse eyepiece.

Also have both fine tuning rings and can,t notice any performance drop when using them,they also barlow very well but are rather bulky compared to normal plossl,s.

But i like the chunky feel.

John

I have Hyperion 17mm, 8mm, 24-8mm Zoom ep's and both FTR's - all very nice ep's - great quality - chunky feel - sharp and contrasty - a reasonable step up from what you have - the right sizes will complement your set well - can't go wrong :D

Archived