Webcam/Jupiter 1st Attempt

Freff

My SPC900CN (flashed) arrived today so I thought I'd give it a try at Jupiter.

It was a bit of a struggle getting an image initially, swapping from eyepiece then to webcam with a very shaky scope.

The whole exercise was a bit rushed, I had to go out. I did manage to get about a few minutes and run it through Registax on default.

Well I managed to get an image, not great but recognisable as Jupiter. Looking forward to trying it out when I have more time.

Tony

post-19789-133877491875_thumb.jpg

Registax for me had the default wavelet settings at 0. Fiddling with those really brings out the picture (though yours is great already).

What scope are you using?

Sorry I've been a bit misleading. I DID move the wavelet settings back and forth but had no idea what I was doing or what they were for. The image changed very little except get brighter by doing so. I think I only moved one stting.

The scope is a Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO .

Thanks all for your encouraging comments.

Tony

First, imagine that the brightness of an image is a height, so the image is an undulating surface. A wavelet filter works by first decomposing the image into little wave shapes (hence the name). The strength of waves at different frequencies and locations is measured, and an image is reconstructed simply by adding the waves back together. So far nothing special. However, by changing the amplitude of the waves of different wavelengths, you can selectively strengthen certain features. This is what the different sliders do. The top sliders correspond to fine details, the bottom to coarse details. I find the middle sliders (in particular 2, 3 and 4) give most effect. Slider 1 only provides extra sharpness in the finest details, and can often also enhance noise.

Play around with all of them to see the effect.

Cheers

Michael

First, imagine that the brightness of an image is a height, so the image is an undulating surface.............................

Cheers

Michael

Many thanks Michael, that really is a big help. Can't wait until the next clear night for another try. This time I will try a 2x Barlow to get a bigger image, and different cam settings.

I'm amazed by other MAK127 users images and the quality they achieve, they really are something to aspire to.

Tony

Archived