sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

What a nice day for many yesterday. I had several questions really. Firstly i have some books and a star guides to help me navigate through the sky.

I was using my goto skywather for the first time (not manually) trying to calibrate it . I know Cassiopeia and was using the star CAPH to align it / Vega (im 70% sure i found this constellation is it a sharp blue colour - VEGA?)

To get to my real question i think its just down to experience but when locating the star in the sky i wanted i had trouble perfectly finding it in my EP . I used a 20mm which gave me a 25x , but it showed up hundreds of stars. The finder scope was aligned correctly but this moves differently to my telescope as the lens is upside down.

To sum up it didn't align correctly , I dont know if anyone has had the same problems (im going to purchase some binoculars)...

Also what EP should i use to align ? My largest MAG?

Thanks guys!!! Has anyone got any material to help me learn constellations ( i have stellium which is great is the laptop worth taking outside ?!)

Thanks so much guys. Answer anything and i'll be happy !!!

Yes but there was lots of pricks of light . I'm finding it hard as the telescope and finder scp[e mroe differently . If i have aligned them together would you advise using the finderscope to align or the telescope ?!?

Thank you .

I try to use double stars when aligning so that I can't mistake them. Use your lowest power eyepiece (the one with the largest number on it).

Thanks. Maybe i'll try that soon. I just haven't found anything par the moon / jupiter / the constellations (i know in between these constellations is more but i havent as yet..)

If there are lots of equally bright stars in the eyepiece then none of them is the alignment star as alignment stars tend to be much brighter than the rest. Yes, you need to use the telescope view for alignment, the finder is meant to get you into the right sky "neighbourhood". Assume that your finder magnifies by x10 and your telescope about x50 so the telescope shows you only a small part of what you see in the finder.

If I were you I'd get orientated on easy objects to start with. Scanning over the moon is an ideal way to learn how your scope and finder move. Do this on a partial moon though - full moon is just too bright and will make your eye ache after a while.

Next go for some planets to refine your technique. Jupiter would be good to try on right now. But you need to be sure your tube and finder are aligned. As suggested - do this in daylight on a distant object like the top of a pylon or church spire. If you have an eq mount you will need to learn how to polar align it - this will make tracking much easier.

Once you've done the moon and a planet or two - try for some of the larger messiers objects like M31 and M42 (both naked eye objects in a dark sky). If you want to try some easy stars - use the handle of the plough - and explore the first 3 stars there.

Good luck :D

I think a red dot finder would make finding the alignment stars much easier, you also don't need a reticule ep simply switch to a higher mag ep and defocus the star image until it is a large disc this is much easier to center.

Taking your laptop out with you will certainly help. When I first took out my CG5 mount it would ask for a star I didn't know. A quick look on Stellarium not only told me where it was (just in case it was blocked by a building or a tree) but also helped to visualise what I would see through the scope to make sure I aligned on the correct star.

If I correctly polar align my mount, put the right details in the handset and start from the home position, the alignment routine is good at putting the star in my field of view (22mm ep) - there's no mistaking the alignment stars, as they are much brighter than the others.

Does the alt/az have a similar home position (eg level and north)?

If I correctly polar align my mount, put the right details in the handset and start from the home position, the alignment routine is good at putting the star in my field of view (22mm ep) - there's no mistaking the alignment stars, as they are much brighter than the others.

Does the alt/az have a similar home position (eg level and north)?

I understand . When i put my details into the Long/ Lat . Does the scope have to be facing a certain way , espeically when u say polar align (LIKE N, E,S, W,) ?

I probably am using a too small mag ep i know the stars should shine brighter i think its possibly me not being patient .

Shame its cloudy out still!