Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ6 PEC training

I've started to PEC train before each session as I don't have a permanent setup. It's not difficult and has dramatically improved my guiding graph on the LVI SmartGuider.

But I'm wondering is there a better/more accurate way to do PEC training - I've read a little about PEMPro but, to be honest, I'm a bit lost. I gather that I would need EQMOD but would it mean that I would loose the use of my hand controller and use EQMOD to control the mount? Would I be able to upload the PEC corrections automatically before each session. Will it make a big difference or am I better of doing it manually.

Sorry - so many questions!

Many thanks.

Mark

Moving on to EQMod has all sorts of positives and one of these is the uploadable PEC profile for your specific mount. You would need to run a sister program called PECPrep to generate the correction file once and then you would 'feed' this into EQMod at the start of each session.

The system works very well indeed although the LVI SmartGuider only works on the ST4 port unfortunately which means that no matter which PEC system you use, there is the possibility of the guider and PEC fighting one another!! This is the advantage of using 'pulse guiding' via EQMod as this will work with the PEC profile, making allowance for its input.

I have a semi-permanent setup where I plonk the EQ6 onto a garden pier. Am I right in thinking that as long as I park the mount at the end of a session and then ensure the RA & DEC axes are in the same position when I unpark at the beginning of the next session, the PEC data will still be valid?

Are there any typical scenarios to watch out for where the PEC would become invalid?

Steve thanks for the info. I've been thinking of going the EQMOD route for a while now. Don't get me wrong the LVI is a good system. It works well enough but takes quite a lot of driving. I think also the big issue for me is that I doesn't give much information so when it doesn't work you're stuck.

The LVI is calibrated with the mount each time I use it but I guess your observation about it working against the PEC data is going to be the case most, if not all, of the time.

Ok it's EQMOD for me! :D Cheers! Help much appreciated.

@r3i - the EQ documentation say's it records the PEC data IF you park the mount and don't touch it at all.

Am I right in thinking that as long as I park the mount at the end of a session and then ensure the RA & DEC axes are in the same position when I unpark at the beginning of the next session, the PEC data will still be valid?

Just make sure you park and unpark. From the point of view of PEC it really doesn't matter at all if you move the RA axis whilst the clutch is disengaged as the worm itself doesn't move.

Chris.

Archived