Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbee with no cluebee

binarymizar

Hi all, just a quickie to introduce myself, another pain in the butt for all you experienced guys and gals.

The name`s Alistair, 45 from Salisbury Wilts, and although I`ve been interested in astronomy for ages (well, I watch Sky at Night....) I`ve only just taken the plunge and forked out Visas money on a `scope. After MUCH deliberation and searching forums, reviews etc, I decided on the Skywatcher Explorer 200mm newt/ EQ5, which seemed to be identical to the Celestron C8N, except you get an extra EP thrown in with the SW for about the same price.

Just can`t WAIT for it to arrive, tho` the forecast is rubbish for the next few days... :D

I think I`m going to splash out on the EP set that OVL are doing for £70 at the moment, and also the dual drive for the EQ5, unless anyone has better (i.e. cheaper) ideas?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there and welcome to SGL. I am also a newb having only got my first 'scope (200mm Newt) a few weeks ago. With a scope that size you can see some amazing things and the guys/gals here are very friendly, and always give good advice.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Originally I was gonna go for one of the eBay Sebens (see? Not a cluebee...) but then I thought, HOLD ON! DO SOME RESEARCH! And I`m glad I did. Eventually it was a toss up between the SkyW or the Celestron C8N and after finding out they were identical, the slight price difference with the SkyW (plus the fact they throw in an extra EP) swayed me.

All I need now is clear skies... :D

Ali

Hi Alistair

Another newbie here to welcome you.

.... just taken the plunge and forked out Visas money on a `scope.

Trouble is Visa have a very annoying habit of wanting it all back - most inconsiderate of them! :D

Hope the skies clear and you can enjoy your new 'scope soon.

Andy.

Welcome to the forum...

Astronomy (IMO) is one hobby that doesn't cost you money everytime you do it! In fact once you have the kit - it's completely free (unless your into film imaging).

You observe from your garden (usually), which is free entry :D , doesn't cost any money to get to.

Take fishing, there's rod fee's, bait, getting to the lake / sea... etc

Thats my argument to the wife when I need more kit and she moans about it :D Shame she always wins though :D

Ant

Eventually it was a toss up between the SkyW or the Celestron C8N and after finding out they were identical, the slight price difference with the SkyW (plus the fact they throw in an extra EP) swayed me.

Actually, they aren't quite identical.

The Celestron CG-5 and Skywatcher's EQ5 are very similar but the CG-5 has quality bearings/gears on both axis and a sturdier tripod - hence the price difference.

Ali, I only mention it for the sake of clarity; The EQ5 will serve you well :D

Hi BM. Prepair to see lot's've really nice stuff in that scope. Great timing too - Saturn's about and getting closer all the while. Just one look at the showcase of our solar system that is the ringed gem and you WILL BE HOOKED!. Look forward to your first light.

Welcome! :D

Hi Alistair

Welcome aboard. Lots of friendly and helpfull advice here.

I too recently just purchased the Skywatcher Explorer 200 on the EQ5 mount, and although I have only had the chance to take it out once (on the first night) I was totally blown away wih the views from it. Take a look at my first night review at http://stargazerslounge.co.uk/index.php?topic=7779.0 and you'll see what I mean.

Can't wait to read your first light experience.

Andy

Hi Alistair welcome to the forum i,m new to all this as well allthough i,ve been dabbleing for years, this is turning into the explorer200 appreciation society got mine last week on the eq 5 mount havnt had a chance to use it yet when i hav,nt been working nights its been cloudy i cant wait to get it down the new forest area for its first test but i,m encouraged by all the positive feedback from the forum heres to clear skies and all the best.

Archived