Stephan's Quintet and 7331

ollypenrice

Here's the famous five in all their miniscule glory! I don't have the focal length to do this properly but thought it was worth a go. Lots of little galaxies anyway. I did half of this with a guest in July and the other half two nights ago, giving about 3.5 hours in all. TEC 140 apo and Atik 4000 OSC. The core of 7331 looks burned out on my laptop, I have just seen. It's OK on the big screen. How does it look to you?

Background sky in PixInsight (brill!) but the rest in Ps till I can learn the rhunic language of the Pixies...

Olly

1043519779_d355o-X2.jpg

Oh Olly that is really crisp. Loving it and the core looks a little blown, but so hard to get the detail of the rest, so I think it looks perfect.

Love the framing, so hard to get right. I remember last year took me nearly an hour to frame alone.

Was close to picking this target tonight.

One of my favorite areas of the sky, saw the quintet visually from COAA many years ago. If you dont mind me saying Olly the image looks a little soft for one of yours, is that a result of the OSC camera i.e lower resolution or possibly focusing ?

One of my favorite areas of the sky, saw the quintet visually from COAA many years ago. If you dont mind me saying Olly the image looks a little soft for one of yours, is that a result of the OSC camera i.e lower resolution or possibly focusing ?

Hi,

Yes, a good area visually. The Quintet shows in our 20 inch as well but you wouln't call it bright...

I think the focus and resolution are okay for 5.5 inches and an FL of 950mm. Really you need more fl to do justice to it I think. My FWHM values were around 1.1 so I can't blame that! I might give it a whizz in the mono but I think it is really just too small an object for the telescope.

I'm now dithering about how to get about 1.8 metres of FL at a reasonable f ratio. Ideas welcome!!

Olly

Cracking image! Love seeing so many galaxies in the one picture.

I'm now dithering about how to get about 1.8 metres of FL at a reasonable f ratio. Ideas welcome!!

Well... For F5, you'd need 14" of aperture, right? :(

Hi

PI lesson number 2 Wavlets :p

As long as the core is not blown on your linear image and you have not clipped the pixels in stretching you should be able to regain the core :)

So take your stretched image open HDR wavlets select 2 or 3 layers ( play with setting ) select 3x3 linear interpolation check the luminance and luminance mask box and apply to your image, stand back and enjoy :D

Harry

I surprised myself at Kelling this year by identifying 7331 just by the look of it in a 14inch dob. :D Somewhere I have a few hours of 7331 that I haven't processed yet, from last year, might just look it out after seeing this :)

In an 18" Obsession I could see the little associated galaxies with 7331 but didnt stick around to see the quintet, so your pic makes up for that.

On the PI website there is a great pic of 7331 which was APOD. Really unusual look to it though. As Harry says, HDR wavelets should bring the core back here if its not saturated.

Definitely envy your skies atm Olly, nothing but cloud cloud cloud here :p

Archived