Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Opinions please

I am soon going to upgrade from my Bresser Messier 127 mm OTA.

I would really love one of the TMB refractors :( but until I get that Lottery win......

I am looking at the Meade series 5000 ED APO 127 mm or the Explore Scientific 127mm.

I would very much appreciate comments from folks who either have these scopes or someone who does.

I would say Im looking for primarily visual but with the ability to grow with me as my astrophotography evolves I will be using a Canon 550 if that makes a difference.

Cheers

Carolyn

Just had a look and read this:

AR127 f/6.5 Air-Spaced Doublet Achromat Refractor

The classic air-spaced, crown-and-flint, doublet achromatic refractor is reborn with the aim to produce superior-class optical figure in a short (f/6.5) focal length design with Explore Scientific Air-Spaced Doublet AR Series.

If it is the same E-S scope then it is classed as an achromat and the description doesn't say ED glass.

Must say I thought that the E-S scopes were at least ED and I was half expecting a Triplet.

On the basis of above I would think along the lines of the Meade myself.

Will throw in another: http://www.telescope-service.com/ They do a very nice looking triplet at 127mm.

As E-S and Meade are American are you in the UK?

The TS site is in German they have an English version/translation for the items except the 127mm scope, you can get enough information from the German page. Not easy to locate the relevant page so have fun searching round. Use their Internet Shop pages to make it a bit easier.

Seriously thinking of one myself.

Given the rave reviews the TS 90mm Triplet APO got, I would not be surprised if it is as good if not better than the Meade, though I do not know the ES. Price-wise the TS one with a 3" focuser, or the 2" with a field flattener would cost about the same as the Meade or ES. Their shipping costs to the UK should be reasonable (to the Netherlands they are quite cheap).

The Meade triplets are good, but the TS FPL-53s are in a different class and are surprisingly close to a TMB optically. The TS prices are very good on the smaller FPL-53 triplets but their 130mm is quite a bit more expensive.

TS also does their own versions of the Meade FPL-51 equivalent triplets and they will therefore be similar performance wise.

John

TS really know how to look after their customers and it seems like nothing is too much trouble. I'm never concerned about ordering from them as I know that if there was a problem it would be sorted instantly. I've bought a few scopes, eyepieces etc. from them over the past few years and they've given the same high level of service every single time, no matter how small the order.

John

Agreed about the superb service form TS, ordered a few smaller things from them over the years, and always had great feedback about the progress of the order, and even an email once to say that something was actually out of stock and would I like to cancel or wait for the stock...

Archived