1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Andromeda - first

iturner2

I set myself a target of viewing of Andromeda, I tried in the garden but we have a large oak tree at the bottom of the garden that blocks almost 90 degrees from north to east, plus there are street lights in that direction.

So it was clearish on sat 9th oct so I tried a local heath in Dorset but i couldn't find it, I think there was high level cloud obscuring fainter stars. So I gave up.

But Sunday night I tried again with a better star chart and half an hour star hopping from pegasus and I found it. My 140mm tasco and 32mm meade eyepiece only produced a cloudy smudge but it was still wonderful.

Ian

£30 car boot tasco 140mm newtonian

32mm meade 4000

6.4mm meade 4000

12.5 tasco eyepiece

It does look like a smudge both in binocs and naked eye from a really dark location - but it's unmisakeable. You did a great job locating it in your "car boot tasco" lol.

You can star hop from a diagonal accross the great square of pegasus, and/or follow the pointer straight from cassieopiea. I usually end up using both cos I'm a bit light polluted here. From Kelling it was easy :(

Well done! It looks just like a smudge to me too :-) You need dark skies and a good scope and/or imaging to see the dust lanes and and galaxy 'shape'.

Still it's pretty amazing to think you're looking at another galaxy all together! Just think how many stars and planets are in that smudge.. maybe there's another civilization looking back at us in the Milky Way thinking the same thing.. who knows! :-)

Edited by bus_ter

• 2 weeks later...

Got out 130mm scope last night and had ago. I wasen't sure was I looking at M31 or M110 they are just opposite each other. I was looking through it with the 25mm eye piece, it was a very faint smudge. Was this M31(Andromeda)???

I also saw Uranus, Jupiter, Pleiades and a few other things but the full moon was out and there was too much light pollution from it. All in all it was a good night.

Must.......resist........urge.........to..........buy...........more........aperture.

Well done! It looks just like a smudge to me too :-) You need dark skies and a good scope and/or imaging to see the dust lanes and and galaxy 'shape'.

Still it's pretty amazing to think you're looking at another galaxy all together! Just think how many stars and planets are in that smudge.. maybe there's another civilization looking back at us in the Milky Way thinking the same thing.. who knows! :-)

My views exactly :)

Just hope they are friendly :)

• 2 weeks later...

I always go from Cassiopeia to find it as unlike Pegasus Cassiopeia never sets for me M32 does so i can judge quickly whether it will be viable by how close Cassiopeia is to the mountains where I am

G

• 2 weeks later...

I was well chuffed when I first saw M31 through binoculars, as long as I can find the Great Square of Pegasus I know I can usually find M31 not far away; looking forward to trying out my new 10mm eyepiece on it!

Edited by jonathan