Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Ford Prefect

Help with electrics needed

I just hope you're not thinking of moving any time soon!

Hello as an electrician who regular wires outhouses and large installations on houses i only wish i could afford i would say 16mm for a 70m run is about right.

Volt drop and the effect on the Earth loop impedance are the main considerations, its a radial so 16mm is about right. As for the amount of sockets obviously discretion is applied based on the fact its unlikely you'll be drawing 13amps per socket.

17th edition regs as of last year basically dictate that all new installations have to be on an Rcbo's including lighting unless chased in aluminium conduit. However as i would imagine you've got an older fuse board an installation of an rcbo will cover any issues.

Rule of thumb for sockets is you can technically install as many sockets on a ring as you like within 100 square meters on a 32amp supply as long as you don't exceed 7200watts, and i believe a maximum of 12 sockets on a radial.

I'd probably just pop a 40amp MCB in the board and if its not got an RCD i.e isn't at least a 16th edition board install a 32amp RCBO.

RCBO is a single device which combines the functions of an MCB (overcurrent and short-circuit protection) and an RCD (Earth leakage protection).

Hope that helps. And i'm quite jealous you have an Observatory :D

Edited by Capella

Might be stating the obvious here, but have you got yourself 2/3/4 quotes for comparisson?

Just had the quote back from my electrician for installing 16 sockets and 2 lamps in my obsy, he has quoted for 16mm 3 core armoured cable, does this see overkill to anyone?

I suppose the real question here is what exactly are you going to run off 16 sockets?

If your going to have bar heaters, A kettle and TV screens etc as well as Telescope drives and laptops ...its all going to mount up to a lot of electricity.

Its mainly the scopes and two pc's and monitors, I prefer the cold so I don’t need a heater, as for the kettle I only really drink Whiskey while imagining and I like that cold :D