SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

10.10.10 Jupiter mini report

Rob

Was it just me, the seeing was so bad from my location last night. I could hardly see the moon transit, and this has to be the worst obs I've had for years. Such a boiling mess. Very dissappointed last night. On the flip side though, DSO work was great

For the first time I can remember I saw no good moments at all.. it was very odd. I had both scopes on Jupiter, both fully collimated and producing the same poor result, if anything the 150P took the edge by only just seeing the inky dot of the moon (only just as drifted in and out of heavy boiling)

Going to try again tonight

The skies over Lancashire were the clearest and calmest I have seen all year . Jupiter and its 4 major moons were in perfect clarity with my Vixen 10 x 50s. Saturday night was totally different with no moons visible at all through the bins.

There are a few layers of warm air drifting around the country. So much so that Aviemore had a ground frost last night but it was 13 degrees 1000 ft up on the hills.

I know you guys are far far away from me...I'm in Canada, but after spending a lot of the day yesterday getting my new Moonlite focuser installed and getting everything collimated, the Jupiter views were absolutely terrible last night, I was figuring on spending more time on collimation today but after reading these reports I'm a bit encouraged that it wasn't just me.

Looking on all the forecasts it should be clear until at 1am. So providing its steady this time, we should get a reasonable view. I haven't looked to see if there are any events, GRS or transit.

If Stellarium is correct, then we have the GRS for most of the evening but no transit.

That should be fine Rob. Depending on the kids, i may not be out there until a little later. Won't be out for long though, i only had 3 hours sleep last night.

Unfortunately tonight is the worst night ever:

Transparency - 1/10

Seeing - 1/10

Gale force wind - check

Terrible LP - check

Scope packed away in shed - check

Going to bed - check

Could see the GRS.....just

Max power possible - 88x but better at 60x

I had excellent seeing here in North Somerset but a very blustery wind. Unfortunately I'd picked the wrong scope (for the wind) and the 10" OO newt was buffeted about making even 150x too much power.

For the few seconds at a time the view did settle Jupiter was wonderful - it could have been some of the best views I've had of the planet - but for the wind :(

At least it's confirmation that the scope is well collimated - I managed a very clean split of stars A, B and C of Iota Cassiopeia in another all-too-brief lull.

Might be OK tonight but there's quite a few cloud groups scudding around ATM.

Archived