Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

jonathan

Um, best one of the night but more trial and error than anything else

I decided to sit outside my back door rather than go right to the top end of the garden, to my surprise the skies looked exactly the same and I could see quite a lot from my spot about twenty feet from the back door.

This is a photo taken with my Canon D1000, 55-250mm lens (at 55mm), 10" f5.6, ISO 400, manual focus, Image Stabilizer off. It shows only a fraction of what I could actually see, the sky was literally full of stars (especially when viewed through binos).

Starsabovethehouse-1.jpg

There are actually short star trails in this photo but they're not really visible at this size.

I also tried photographing Jupiter and it's moons (which I could see quite well through binos) but the zoom was just too affected by the slightest breeze or vibration, I wasn't able to get a sharp image or one without trails.

This image probably means more to most of you lot than it does me, I'm afraid I haven't a clue what stars are in it without looking them up! I just like the little dipper thingy. I'm one who has had a few stabs at photographing celestial objects and skies but not had much luck with it, not really being an expert with the camera nor at photographing the stars. Suppose I ought to get a book on the subject. :(

Edited by jonathan