Is the Moon Alive?

Kain

Hmmm it may be my memory failing but I'm sure that a few years ago after one of the lunar missions, part of the lander was allowed to crash back onto the moon to allow for seismic reports. As I remember at the time all the blurb was that these reports suggested that the Moon may be hollow. How would that tie in with htis theory ?

I remember them using the term "ringing like a bell" to indicate that there was something unexpected about the way the sounds travelled through the moon. I don't think it indicated that the moon is hollow, though, just of a different composition than they had expected. Maybe there's a ball of marzipan under the green cheese.

They've crashed a number of objects into the moon just to see what their seismic detectors could pick up about the interior. There are 4 or 5 detectors left there by the Apollo crews and up until about 1977 they were used to try and figure out the moons interior. They even picked up a meteor impact on the far side which really helped, allowing them to put an upper limit on the size of the core. I think they believe the moon is actually a lot less dense that it should be, but they now put that down to the fact that it was created in an impact with the Earth, and the Earth got all the heavy bits thanks to it's gravity and the moon formed from less dense matter still in orbit.

Archived