Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ6 Disaster - Spares ?

Hi

Some months ago i sheared off the nuts that hold the Hand Controller Socket in place (see pic) anyway being a bit lazy i pulled the socket through the plate so i could still attached the controller - now i know its my fault but the mount was on its side in the boot and something flew around and shreared off the complete socket and ripped the cables etc - can I buy a new socket complete with cable and of course the little plug that goes onto the PCB inside the mount

Thanks in advance

Regards

John B

post-17074-133877490445_thumb.jpg

Hi John, I did this aswell myself only two nights ago.

I was able to salvage the original socket by removing the two little nuts that are on the inside of the mount, you will need to remove the four screws in the outer corners of the control panel.

Once done, you can physically remove the socket from the board, with a small pair of pliers using a bit of force prise the remaining nuts from the back of the socket.

I then stripped some new nuts with thread from an old graphics card and popped them through the face plate on the mount and through the socket and then fixed in place using an appropriate nut, cant remember the size. Once I'd done that and put everything back in place I was able to secure my handset or FTDI cable back in place and had it all working again.

HTH.

Thanks but !!!! I will get a picure later thsi morning, there is no longer a socket i had already brought it through the plate after shearing off the nuts, now i have sheared off the socket so i need to buy the socket with the cables soldered on and the other end needs to have the socket that can be plugged into the PCB

I will get a pic but its a bit early for me yet

John B

You would need to ask Steve at FLO or get onto someone at OVL who are the main importer for Skywatcher, its not a diifficult thing to make but your soldering skills need to be ok. You can pick up a new DSUB 9 pin socket from maplins, I can take mine apart and give you the information you'd need for doing that.

Or if you like if you pull out the plug end from the PCB and send it to me I could have a go at making a new one? I can pick up the necessary bits from maplins. I'm home everyday so I could get it done fairly quickly. Let me know what you think.

John, just to let you know I've finished making the DSUB end of the cable, as soon as the PCB end arrives I'll have it all sorted and back to you asap.

Also, I've run out of grey cable so I've used blue instead, the other colours are all the same.

Thanks for the kind words chaps. I remember reading once about a village somewhere that didnt use money, they each just offered their particular skill set out to others and performed various tasks for other members of the village depending on what they could do. Very Star Trek I know but maybe the way forward.

If I can ever help anyone else please just ask, it gives me something to do aswell until I can get myself all mended and back to work.... :D

Archived