SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Shield for a Streetlamp

Kai

Just recieved a letter from the local Highways Agency quoting me £50 to provide a shield to a streetlamp so the light doesnt spill into my garden (and totally ruin my view West)

Question is can i use the Light Polloution Act to my advantage and make them do it for free ??

Has anybody out there tried this and suceeded ?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the middle of "paper shuffling" about having a street light shielded

and there's been no mention of any charges yet but then again, I've not

got my shield put on either. Now gone past a deadline twice!

Some of these bigger councils are quite powerful and probably wouldn't let

the fact that they have a legal requirement get in their way :?

What particular law will it be breaking ? ie name and year ,just so i can quote this in the next email i am going to send off.

This was their first "offer" and i want to make sure the tone of my reply is correct .

So far i have two names,i wonder how many others i can collect before they fit my shield for free :D

Will i need to inform Enviormental Health in the same way as noise polloution ?

Lets see if i can get MY local services to work for ME !!

blumming councils...

Were having problems at the moment with out flat, the stairs are very slippy when wet, and we want something done about it.

I had a quote sent to me for £1200, so I told them I will contact health and safty, there now going to do it for free lol.

They just try it on mate.

Kain

Thanks very much for this thread as not long after receiving my scope and mount I had a lovely street light put in which not only shines into 2 bedrooms but also means I have effectively a 1 square metre of concrete to observe from. Which is far from great. I have now today contacted the council (sunderland) and hope to get a shield for free?

I will let you know. Cheers Daz as the info from the Croydon society will be useful if they try to get out of their obligations.

Cheers

Dom

I don't think so, unless its made of concrete or brick, or prevents the street light from lighting the street.

You can get into trouble with permanant buildings as you need planning permission for certain types of constructions and I expect that there is some law that says you can't interfere with the street lighting so that it doesn't light the street.

Captain Chaos

Update.............

This is the reply i recieved from the Highways Agency

Thankyou for your e-mail dated 11th November 2006.

I have taken advice regarding the Clean Neighbourhood and Environment Act 2005 and am advised that Section 102 does not include Street Lighting. It only refers to "light emitted from premises so as to be predudicial to health or a nuisance".

Our offer to provide a shield in the sum of £50 plus VAT is still applicable

Soooo looks like i will have to up the ante a bit.

Legal definition of premises from web legal dictionary:

premises n. 1) in real estate, land and the improvements on it, a building, store, shop, apartment, or other designated structure. The exact premises may be important in determining if an outbuilding (shed, cabana, detached garage) is insured or whether a person accused of burglary has actually entered a structure. 2) in legal pleading, premises means "all that has hereinabove been stated," as in a prayer (request) at the end of a complaint asking for "any further order deemed proper in the premises" (an order based on what has been stated in the complaint.) (See: real estate, structure)

Surely by "Land and the improvements on it" you can argue that the roadway is land and the light is an improvement on it?

Sorry CC, what I meant was, a similar thing to ones used on pelican crossing. They either use a big round disc or a tube arrangement, so they shine only in the direction of traffic. [sorry,d idn't make myself clear].

Another thing, there's not much they could do about a tree 8) It would only be obstructing the light onto your property [as would the round disc shield above] But would think, there's not much they could do about that, as trees are always blocking out light? Just a thought.

Update.............

This is the reply i recieved from the Highways Agency

Thankyou for your e-mail dated 11th November 2006.

I have taken advice regarding the Clean Neighbourhood and Environment Act 2005 and am advised that Section 102 does not include Street Lighting. It only refers to "light emitted from premises so as to be predudicial to health or a nuisance".

Well it is a nuisance to you! Does this light stream through windows to your property etc, or is it only your garden it affects? Even so it is an intrusion, light spill? Saying that, they won't rush to your aid if its only for astronomy purposes, you do need to play on it if possible...

50 quid, their having a laugh... :D

Caz

I have spoken to the local Enviromental Protection dept at the local council and it doesnt come under their remit,it comes under the Highways Agency :D. (ie they are not responsible for streetlights , section 104 of the 2005 act)

It looks like to only grounds to persue this is under section 17 of the 1998 Crime and Disorder act but i recon i might just hit a blank wall.

The light spill only covers the garden (80 % albiet) and doesnt interfere with the house too much ,1 small window only and as Phillip says £50 to enjoy my hobby isnt that much in the grand scheme of things as long as the shield actually stops any light spill into my garden.Then all i have to do is combat the light glow of Canterbury ( do you think a 400mw wide beam lazer pointer would suffice :D to knock ALL the lights out).

Looks like a email to see what the design of the sheild looks like. :D

Archived