Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Oh nooooo!!! :D

I'm screwed!!!

I was all set up to get some images tonight, having finally picked up my T2 mount for my minolta 505si super (a piece of junk) and I've put it in the scope, pointed it at the moon, focussed it, switched it on, AND IT WON'T TAKE A PHOTO BECAUSE THERE'S NOT A PROPER LENS. Where the aperture info should be, there are blanks, because it's got no aperture, so the shutter release simply won't operate. WHAT IN THOR'S NAME (I loved when someone said that in another post!) AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?!?!?

Oh, god, I'm depressed!

Help me please, or there will be one less member of SGL!

Andrew :D

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh - you lettin Thor into your life too? :D

That Minolta issue sounds like a tricky one. Is it a permenant auto? Or has it a manual function? Surely someone here can help. Could be that it'll only work with it's own lens fitted - not my field really but best of luck with it.

"thanks for caring!" - no worries Andrew... but; "stuff yourself"? steady on now :D

I take it that there's no difference with it on manual then. Sounds like it's cryin for it's own lens then. Wonder if there's a way of foolin the camera into thinking it's lens is in place? Although - and like I said, this ain't my field - I'd have thought that this would've been taken care of by the T ring for this specific camera? Like I said, best o luck with it - hope someone here has an answer for ya.

"thanks for caring!" - no worries Andrew... but; "stuff yourself"? steady on now :D

:D :D :D

Wow. That cheered me up a hell of a lot. I'll talk to Minolta (Minolta actually don't listen anymore cause they're under Sony now) and see what they say.

I'm off to do some observing anyway.

Hope someone has an idea about what I can do. I'm sure there's a way of tweaking the electronics somehow.

Andrew

:D:( :( (still can't stop!)

I've looked through the manual and it states that manual focus lenses won't work with this camera. Looks like it isn't going to help much. I suggest that you get hold of a totally manual SLR, if you want to do wet photography, something from the Zenith / Zenit series, a Pentax K1000 or anything from before autofocus came along.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZENIT-11-35MM-SLR-CAMERA-EX-CON-IDEAL-FOR-TELESCOPE_W0QQitemZ260049025611QQihZ016QQcategoryZ73448QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For example, would suit your needs, as would

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zenit-12-XP-35mm-SLR-All-metal-body_W0QQitemZ300045812627QQihZ020QQcategoryZ73448QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PENTAX-K-1000-SLR-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ120050133352QQihZ002QQcategoryZ15240QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

All should be less than 20 quid.

HTH

Captain Chaos

Now I've looked at the specs of the Canon I'm wondering why you want to go film? DSLRs are bad enough to get the focus right on when you can preview what you are getting. With wet film you have to wait until tomorrow to check the focus by which time you have taken the camera off the 'scope so it means nothing and doesn't help. I'd stick with afocal and the Powershot until you can get your hands on a DSLR as it will save you a lot of grief. You can use the 505 for widefield stuff already and the lens might even be marked for infinity, so that helps.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-D50-6Mp-Pro-Digital-Camera-Body_W0QQitemZ150056473830QQihZ005QQcategoryZ31388QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is like the one I use if you have the dosh.

Captain Chaos

Not necessarily,

Modern AF cameras rely on electrical connections between body and lens. Some manufacturers have 'allowed' the use of accessories (without the contacts) on some of their models. It looks as though Minolta have not done so with the 505si.

Andy, best return the adaptor to Jessops.

Thanks for all your ideas guys, especially CC, who seems to be set on sorting out my problem. Gepetto (Greg, is it? SOrry, not quite getting the hang of peoples' real names!) I've emailed the guy with the same camera. Surely if he can do it I can, so there is yet hope. CC, I understand exactly what you're saying. I'm anyway seriously considering buying the new Sony A100, as it will be fully compatible with all my lenses :D

Also, I tried Greg's idea, but nothing happened. My spot button is very difficult to press, and self timer is not a toggle, it's a selection switch (single frame, self timer, continuous shooting)

So how does the likes of Canon's 300D work with no lens attached?

Andrew

YESSSSSS!!! :D :D :D

I'VE DONE IT!!

Thanks Gepetto (sorry, don't know your name anymore! Phattire's Greg!)

I simply didn't read your post thoroughly enough, but that does the trick. Also, I totally forgot about the little vital slip of paper inside the T2 mount box, that explains the compensation buttons for every Minolta model. I wasted 2 shots in the process, but it's a success, and I'm ready to go again!

:D phew! :wav:

Andrew

Well, it's not too bad, Phil (YES!!). I get mine processed by Klick (mail order) at 7 by 5 inch for about £4 (it takes a week max, but I'm patient as long as I'm saving money!), and they give loads of freebies, including free films (which aren't bad neither).

Okay, now I have a real question:

what's the difference between prime focus and projection photography? As I understand it, if you use the short tube thing, it's prime focus, and if you use the extender barrel with that, it's projection. So why are they given these names, and what difference does it make other than a slightly higher mag with the extention?

Andrew

Prime focus is just the camera with no lenses or eyepieces.

You can put an eyepiece in the tube between the scope and the camera

and this gives you eyepiece projection..

Looking forward to seeing your first photos.

Might be worth putting a note in with the film to tell

the guy on the photo machine that these are astronomy photographs

else they might think you've taken a load of dark photos and try to

brighten them for you.. :D

Looking forward to seeing your first photos.

Might be worth putting a note in with the film to tell

the guy on the photo machine that these are astronomy photographs

else they might think you've taken a load of dark photos and try to

brighten them for you.. :D

Thanks, a good point

You can put an eyepiece in the tube between the scope and the camera

and this gives you eyepiece projection..

Okayyyy how do you do that? I can't see any possible way of screwing the eyepiece to the camera adaptor...

So what do I use my extender barrel for? and how do I actually get different magnifications, like you can using different EPs.

Am I just stuck with two - with the extender and without.

I think I'm missing something here, and I might be on the virge of discovery. Hold on two ticks...

Andrew

Archived