Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
John

Heads up - is this for real ??

Ah....... But do we know it's real!!

Careful there don't get ripped off!

So if its the same guy then why is he called James on one site and Mohamed

on another??????

Maybe he has enlisted the help of the tooth fairy to help him sell it. :insects1: :insects1:

But to pillory someone just because his first sale is something expensive is not fair. What if it was a car... average family saloon, about £4000. Would the same alarm bells ring?

Arthur

The seller isn't getting "pilloried", its a con. Surely you can see that?

If not, I've got a big dish in Puerto Rico for sale. Make a Paypal payment to GazOC@Aricibo.com for £90 and its yours (buyer collects).

Makes no difference to my point - this is a "pay when you get the thing in your hand" item, so the con seems pointless unless somebody was stupid enpough to post of a wad of cash. In which case it serves them right.

Arthur

Bit of a mute point now as the listings been pulled now as far as the origional question.

As far as Ebay is concerened,i think as long as you use a bit of common sense and a bit of street savvy then you cant go to far wrong.

Oh yes and didnt we all start with zero feedback ? :D :D

I think one of the points being made here Arthur is that this seller had made no attempt

to be more open from the start (thats where people become suspicious from the off)

I was not pillorying/slating the seller but i wouldn't have touched that ad with a barge pole (does that make me a bad person?)

i think not just cautious and sensible.

Just think of the effort YOU have put into building a reputation/making your self known and you ain't selling a £7000 scope.

All true Jamie. I was merely saying that the ad in itself was not suspicious... just because a seller :D wants to sell something expensive as their first item is not grounds to call them dodgy. OK, in *this* case he more than likely was, but that's not the point. If you want to spend lots of pennies on something it would (to me) make sense to go look at the thing before spending. Therefore no loss to potential buyers, scam fails. If someone is mad enough to post off large wads of money to someone like this (in fact to anyone) on the basis of an eBay sale then they really do deserve all they get if they are bitten - especially as eBay scams are widely known/publicised.

Whatever, it likely was a scam so this is all irrelevant now (other than to serve as some sort of "look before you jump" warning to new eBayers).

Arthur

I asked again if payment on collection was acceptable but as last time, no reply. Tonight I checked on progress and found that e-bay have removed the item. Enough said.

So to summarise was this item a con or not.

IMHO we all get ripped off enough in this hobby without pandering to conmen in ebay

Arthur, the point I was making is that, even if the scope was genuine, the seller would have gotten more money for it if they had had more postive feedback. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but thats just the way it is.

Arthur, the point I was making is that, even if the scope was genuine, the seller would have gotten more money for it if they had had more postive feedback. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but thats just the way it is.

I felt that initially - I was even thinking of e.mailing the person to suggest they might do well to stick the scope on the other Astro buy and sell sites as well as e.bay - but reading the ad through I thought better of it.

John.

I did some work on eBay a few years ago when it was even more secretive than it is now. Here's an allegedly true story that surfaced. A keen amateur astronomer had an expensive telescope customised by the manufacturer so that there was nothing else quite like it. He posted a series of pictures of it on his personal website. Some time later a friend emailed him and said: "I wish you'd told me you were flogging that telescope especially as you seem to want to give it away." It turned out that somebody had listed a very expensive telescope on eBay at a very low starting price and had illustrated it with pictures lifted from the keen amateur's website. Of course the seller didn't respond to his frantic emails but eventually eBay canned the listing.

Apparently what can happen is that the winning bidder, who is over the moon at getting a fantastic bargain, doesn't look too carefully at the invoice that arrives at lightning speed with an invitation to type in passwords, account details etc. Mind you, the fake eBay emails that I get ("respond now or I will give you negative feedback andsend a report to eBay") are far more convincing than they used to be.

Mind you, the fake eBay emails that I get ("respond now or I will give you negative feedback andsend a report to eBay") are far more convincing than they used to be.

I got one about 6 months ago, it nearly got me.

So far i have had some nice Nigerian gentleman put £150 into my paypal account to cover the Nigerian Electronic Import tax payment on the Mobile Phone he so kindly bought from me that i told him about. :D

This is in addition to the cost of £100 to send it :D

He must really want it as his repiles are within minutes of me sending the emails.

So far he has spent £300 for a year old Motorola V3. :D

He had been waiting 3 weeks so far.

The Paypal emails are good but there was no way i would click on any link in a email.

Still Conman baiting can be good fun :D