Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heads up - is this for real ??

John

Here is something that you don't see on e.bay everyday:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Astro-Physics-6-inch-f-9-Refractor-Telescope_W0QQitemZ220047781465QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I wonder who will consider paying a few thousand pounds to an e.bayer with a zero rating ?. If this scope is what it purports to be I can't think why the seller chose e.bay - there are numerous other options.

I'll watch (but not bid on) this one with some interest.

BTW - many apologies if the seller is a member of SGL !!

John.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I smell no rat. I think he's new to the internet, so doesn't know the best place to sell a telescope, and he's simply wanting to pass on his refractor. He doesn't reply immediately because he doesn't do daily checks. I wouldn't go for it until I received a convincing email in return, and then would jump at the chance, because nobody else will because of his 0 rating.

The fact is that it's a hot deal with a convincing and knowledgeable item description.

I'd be very interested to know his reply. Give him a chance. How else do new eBayers get a reputation, I ask you verily?

Andrew

I smell no rat. I think he's new to the internet, so doesn't know the best place to sell a telescope,

The guy knows about Astromart. If he's bought an AP refractor he know's about telescopes....

Just be careful, that's all..

I would certainly ask to see the scope "In person " Even before placing a bid...

Also, all bidders are secret?

Oh. Did somebody make up some new rules then? Must've missed them.

Arthur

Not "rules" just commonsense. The discussion we're having about the scope at the moment shows that a seller with more feedback would have less problems selling the scope. To believe otherwise is just being naive, or worse..... :D

Oh. Did somebody make up some new rules then? Must've missed them.

Arthur

Not "rules" just commonsense. The discussion we're having about the scope at the moment shows that a seller with more feedback would have less problems selling the scope. To believe otherwise is just being naive, or worse..... :D

I started this thread because I thought it was worth drawing this to peoples attention - e.bay is riddled with fraudsters and scammers - up to now they have been relatively easy to spot - but this one was a bit different - it could be perfectly genuine but then again it could be a more sophisticated scam.

I think the phrase "Caveat Emptor" - Buyer Beware applies to e.bay more than anywhere else I can think of - I think this discussion is part of that process.

John.

This type of thread on this forum is very interesting.

If I was considering purchasing a scope or piece of equipment of e-bay then I would certainly stick a thread and link it on here. As we have experienced astronomers and traders on here the advice would be invaluble in aiding me in making an informed choice. I may not be able to spot a scammer and I wouldn't like to loose money on this sort of deal.

The way I read it is that the guy is selling an Astro Physics 6" Refractor he has no feedback and the bidders are all hidden. He has purchased scope from astromart and says he's never used it.

I would just want to see the scope before I put a bid on it...It's going to go for a lot more than £260 odd quid..

True, but to be honest that sort of money would be collection only though. Caveat Emptor is correct, given the way of the world today I suspect most people would want to see what they are buying first. But to pillory someone just because his first sale is something expensive is not fair. What if it was a car... average family saloon, about £4000. Would the same alarm bells ring?

Arthur

I understand the point you are making Arthur - I suppose the question is should a forum like SGL restrict our public comments to the item for sale rather than casting doubts on the seller and their motives - who we know nothing factual about of course or is it OK that the discussion ranges wider than that - to the whole "package" in fact.

It's a difficult one to call to be honest - I guess we do pass comment on the merits or otherwise of dealers / traders as well as their products - but the seller here does not appear to be in that category and generally such comments are based on actual experience rather than supposition.

I'd like to know what others think.

John.

Maybe I am a suspicious cynic, but ...... a 6" Astrophysics APO, with 7 bids so far, all hidden............. I do not believe it. And I may regret that view - as I could snap up a superb bargain. But let's face it .... he bought a 'scope we would give our eye teeth for ... he paid lots for it ..... he never used it .... he doesn't understand ebay or the value of the 'scope ... all the bidders want to remain anonymous ...... Unlikely? OR AM I JUST CYNICAL :scratch:

Bid if you want to, but I wont.

Tom

My 2p's worth here.

The question that i am asking myself is this.

Having bought/never used this scope "Why doesn't he just sell it on the same site he bought it from?"

Surely the fact that "HE" bought it should tell him that the site he bought it "FROM" would be the

best place to sell it on?????

Just MHO here but i would have thought that AP fracs sell better on astro buy/sell sites than on ebay.

Just out of interest, how safe is Astro Buy and Sell?

Anyone can put an advert and if someone pays for a scope and it never arrives there is no feedback option to alert the puplic - surely they can just keep on doing it?

Is there a system for alerting the web masters?

Even if there is, when I registered there was zero confirmation of my email address or location in the country - I could have made it all up.

I don't think I 'll go for this scope - I have used Ebay enough to be wary of new ebayers even if he is genuine. If he doesn't get the money he's after he may just pull out of the trade anyway. One negative to save hundreds of pounds. However, scams are all the rage but not just on Ebay and there is at least some protection from the feedback - if you know what to look for (i.e. not a rating of 10 from 10 people who have zero rating themselves!)

Just out of interest, how safe is Astro Buya nd Sell?

Anyone can put an advert and if someone pays for a scope and it never arrives there is no feedback option to alert the puplic - surely they can just keep on doing it?

On the astro buy/sell sites 95% of the people that use the site are known astronomers on one forum or another so if you

are not sure of a seller's identity ,ask i say.

Oh BTW if you do try to buy anything on any site without some sort of confirmation of the seller and the item

then you deserve to get stung!!!!

Just out of interest, how safe is Astro Buya nd Sell?

On the astro buy/sell sites 95% of the people that use the site are known astronomers on one forum or another so if you

are not sure of a seller's identity ,ask i say.

Oh BTW if you do try to buy anything on any site without some sort of confirmation of the seller and the item

then you deserve to get stung!!!!

Just seen this on Astro Buy & Sell - Can anyone lend me £7,000 so I can see if it's genuine ;-)

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=9236

John

Archived