Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Steve 1962

M45 The Pliades

I finally got out in the garden last night and, for the first time since June, had a go at something other than the moon.

This is 11 x 5min subs with 8 x 5 min darks taken using Nebulosity 2 with a Baader filtered EOS1000d @ ISO 1600 through a WO Zs70 and FRIII.

The image was stacked etc. in Nebulosity 2 and tweeked in PS CS3

steve-1962-albums-pictures-somerset-sky-picture7042-m45-pliades-7-oct-2010-11-x-300-secs-iso1600-modded-eos-1000d-cooled-2c-stacked-neb2-processed-ps-cs3.jpg

I've spent the summer tinkering and soldering (and spending money) so this was the first time out for a home made peltier cooler (which took the camera down to 2 degrees c), home made dew heaters using NiChrome wire bought for £2 from eBay (which worked a treat against the heavy dew last night), focused with the aid of a Bahtinov Mask (brilliant - very quick) and I used ST4 guiding through a new QHY5v for the first time. It was great to get it all working and be outdoors again after all the rubbish weather we've had.

I'm going to have another crack at this next time the sky clears because I think it'd be better, noise wise, going for longer subs at a lower ISO.

Any comments hints, or suggestions would be great please

Cheers

Steve

Really nice Steve!

Last night i had problem after problem, all due to not testing the setup on the laptop etc first.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Sorry to hear about your problems last night Earl - all sorted now??

Edited by Steve 1962

Bags of detail there Steve, loads of the faint stuff :( Looks a little bluey on my screen perhaps, but a good nights work for sure :(

That is nice Steve. It may look a little bluey but the star colours are in there (I always look for the two in the middle of the cluster, one blue one orange).

James

What a fantastic image, lots of nebulosity, and brilliant coulors. Just fantastic...

Keiran

super job... very very nice indeed..

Thanks for the nice comments guys,

Here's a version with the blue curve set down a little - which version do people prefer???

steve-1962-albums-pictures-somerset-sky-picture7052-m45-pliades-7-oct-2010-blue-curve-set-down-bit.jpg

Steve

That's a beauty Steve. Looks like your patience and dedication are starting to pay off. Personally I like the blue nebulosity but with the background a neutral colour (preferably not quite black). The nebulosity goes pretty deep

You must be pleased with that as all your hard work has paid off. The tracking and focus look good and you have a good amount of signal. I would set the black point a bit lower as you may clipping some of the data.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks for your help Martin and Kevin

I'm just sitting here now, looking out at the drizzle, playing with levels and curves. I think I'm going to crop it slightly less as well this time.

Hi Steve, its supposed (!) to be quite clear around here tomorrow night (10/10/10!), im going to drag my scope out and see what i can achieve! (no-where near to your efforts though!!).

Excellent image.