Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telrad red dot V's Rigel quickfinder for 150p Dobsonian

Hello. I have recently purchased a 150p dobsonian scope and am now looking to purchase a finder to help me with star hopping.

I have been advised on the two main finders..these

Telrad Red Dot Finder

or

Finders - Rigel QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight

They both sound very appealing and I like aspects with both of them-the extra 4" circle on the telrad and the smaller size of the Rigel + lithium battery.

Any of you have any experience with both the scope and one of these finders? would they both fit comfortably on the 150p? Basically, I cant make up my mind! can someone do it for me please?:(

Thanks in advance:)

Telrad for me too - the circles are really useful for "star hopping" since I started using it finding "stuff" has become really easy. If you have cartes du ceil (free downloadable skymap software) you can print your own charts complete with the correct sized "circles" - this makes finding things even easier!

It runs on 2 1.5 volt batteries that last well (if you remember to switch off!!). The only downside I have found is that it is a bit of a dew magnet - easily resolved by making a simple dew shield for it. You can also get spare bases if you have more than one scope as well as "raisers" - very useful to avoid contortions to see through the thing at some positions of the scope!!

I've 2 Telrads and like them, the rigel would be better for smaller scopes. Batteries last for ages, left mine on for a week before. Ready made dew shields are only £3 on the astro boot section of scopes n skies and well worth having. Dead easy to use and set up if you changed between scopes.

Well it looks like telrad has won/winning 5-2! I was leaning slightly towards the telrad anyway due mainly to the extra 4" circle and becuase it's slightly cheaper. I was worried a touch about the size and weight and how it would impact on the scope but this does not seem to be an issue...

Thanks for all of your replies. Now I have to find out how to build a dew shield and which red torch to buy!:(

Hello again. I was literally about to order the telrad on-line but stopped at the last minute! I then saw this link in another thread..http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/9finders.pdf

It says that the telrad is good but should only really be used on larger scopes. Is it too big for my 6" dob you think? Any of you use a telrad on a 6"dob?

The Telrad is physically quite large but is very light (its mainy full of air!). The base is designed to fit tubes down to 4" (100mm) diameter (but will fit smaller) using two sticky strips that, once on, wont come off again (but the Telrad will unclip from the base and you can buy spare bases for other scopes if you need them). It is about 8" long 2" wide and 3-4" high so it will fit a 6" Dob easily.

Yep the Telrad will be fine on a 6" dob and will really help a great deal in finding the faint fuzzies!

You can actually buy them with a little dew shield fitted!

Make a dew shield for the dob out of a camping mat..much cheaper and works just the same as ones on sale in astro shops - lots of other info on this on other threads.

Doc

Thanks. I would consider myself a little bit cack handed to be honest but I may just see if I can find an easy-to-build guide and try to save some £s!

update: Telrad ordered and on its way. Thanks for all the advice, i'll let you know how I find it once I have the chance to use it :(

Archived