SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQMOD and mount help...

Hi all,

I am trying to use my computer to control my mount, and to get my guiding up and going. I have been told that i can do it by connecting my laptop to my hand set, via the cable that came with it. then i can use PHD, and EQMOD, and ASCOM.

I have connected my Laptop to the handset via usb to serial and then to the cable that comes with the mount.

Where can i get EQMOD, and ASCOM.... And how do i use them with my scope to make it all work.

Thanks for your help in advance :(

Keiran

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first module you need to install is EQASCOM, this controls the mount. The other modules are not essential but add extra functions. The EQMosaic module allows you to pricisely move to mount on a preset pattern - useful for photographing lunar mosaics - the amount of movement and overlap can be preset by the user depending on the camera / telescope combination. The ASCOMPAD module gives you control over the mount from the laptop screen, and EQTOUR allows you to creaate custom tour lists for your mount.

Peter

Brilliant Peter... Thank you i will download these when i get back, have to get electric :(

do i just in stall these and it should work after i put the mount on to pc direct mode?

will this also allow me to use PHD?

Thanks again

Keiran,

If all you want to do is use a planetarium program to control the scope GOTO etc you don't need to install EQMOD.

It is possible to just plug it the upgrade cable (with a suitable USB>serial adaptor between the handcontroller and the PC.)

In this PCdirect mode I use Carte du Ciel ( telescope setting - Celestron) to control my HEQ5pro....

(I also have and sometimes use EQMOD - but using the Synscan handcontroller and CdC is, at least for me, still comfortable)

Ken

I don't use the mount in PC Direct mode as if you do then not all of the handset functions operate whilst you are connected. I use the Celestron mount driver rather than the EQ5 one. That way if I need to go outside and 'nudge' or slew the mount I still can from the handset.

Thank you everybody, this is why i love this place... you have a problem, and you can almost garentee that somebody can help... I have EQMOD working now and it is so kool.

I am hoping to use this all for guiding with PHD so saturday night i am going to have a go :(

Thanks again

Keiran

I have been having a play and its brilliant, goto on the computer :( struggling to get stellarium to work with it though
I struggled with Stellarium, I've no doubt that the problem is me rather than the hardware, so I switched to CdC and it worked almost immediately.

The ASCOMPAD module gives you control over the mount from the laptop screen.

If you're using EQASCOM you don't need ASCOMPAD for mount control (either laptop or gamepad based) . ASCOMPAD was originally written to provide an EQASCOM type gamepad interface for those poor unfortunates with mount types that couldn't use EQASCOM itself.

Where ASCOMPAD might be of use to an EQASCOM users is in providing a focuser interface (assuming you have an ASCOM compatible focuser) to permit focusing from your gamepad.

A video tutorial on ASCOMPAD and focuser control should be up on youtube in the next few hours.

Chris.

I am trying it with PC direct and as ken said, you can do it all from the computer with out needing to use the controller :(

You'll probably find that N-point alignment isn't much fun with only the computer interface (looking through a reticule eyepiece whilst making fine slew adjustments on the laptop) . Most EQMOD users get themselves a wireless gamepad rather than use the synscan.

Chris.

As I have to set my setup up every time i use it, I will do the alignment with the handset, and then i will plug the comuter in...I can imagine it would be a bit of a pain though :(

And as for Stellarium, I have a copy of CdC for sky@night, so ill get it off there and have a go :(

Keiran, you'll find CdC much better and 'professional' than Stellarium. I think Stellarium goes over the top to try and look realistic, and also wastes a huge amount of the computer's memory. Very pretty, but not so good at the technical stuff.

You really do need a gamepad to control the scope. I had a wireless Xbox one, but it had a habit of randomly slewing when you don't want it to. Never got to the bottom of that one, so replaced it with a wired one which is fine. The wires are useful anyway, as you can hang the controller on the mount when you're not using it!

As I have to set my setup up every time i use it, I will do the alignment with the handset, and then i will plug the comuter in...I can imagine it would be a bit of a pain though :(

There's no point in using the EQMOD ASCOM drivers if you're going to do that. Alignment with EQMOD is totally separate process from handset alignment and data is not shared between EQMOD and handcontroller (EQMOD is designed to take sole control).

If you intended to align with the handset then you must use the handset and Celestron drivers for a basic PC interface. If, on the other hand, you want to take advantage of the more advanced PC based control offered by EQMOD then you just put your handset into PC-Direct mode and align from within EQMOD.

Chris.

I couldnt see an option on there last night for alignment?

Just slew to an object. Re-centre it with the controls, then 'sync'. Then do a couple more (or as many as you want) and away you go.

Archived