Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Try not to do this

Shibby

I attach my camera to the scope using the front part of the EP holder as an adapter. So I was very chuffed with myself when I discovered that my compass is nearly a perfect fit as a dust cap! What a clever chap!

Monday night, however, I made a grave error and went to attach the camera to the scope while forgetting to remove the compass first... It fell inside the OTA and landed on the primary mirror with a loud clatter. Besides feeling like a total tit, I now have a chip in the coating of my mirror.

I suppose I'm not planning on selling it any time soon, and to be honest I don't think its made too much difference to the performance as far as I personally can tell... (The double cluster I've posted in the DSO section was taken immediately afterwards.)

Still, what prize moron I am. It's a new scope as well :(

'Losing' a few square mm of your primary is probably not going to make any difference to your results, after the shape of the primary is immaterial. If the glass itself is chipped then you'll want to know where the chipped-off fragment has ended up - like somewhere vital? :( .... also you may get stray light scattered off the damaged bit causing flare spots. I wonder if it makes sense to put a blob of matt black paint over the chipped bit?

I'd guess you've already checked the collimation.

Archived