Cost effective webcam imaging

I currently have an SW200P reflector (12mm focal lenght) on a dob mount and it is giving excellent visual results. However, recently, I was able to get hold of a TouCam Pro II with raw output mod for a good price and had a go at getting pictures of Jupiter. I eventually ended up with a few seconds of AVI clip and managed to produce an image courtesy of registax . The imaging bug is thusly starting to bite so here is the question:

If I bought a tracking mount (say a SW HEQ5) for the newtonian OTA, how far could I expect to go in terms of imaging performance, resolution etc with the webcam. Am I looking at moon and planets, or big bright DSOs, or even things like the Ring Nebula? At what point will a webcam on an 8 inch reflector with an eq mount run out of steam?

Am I right in additionally thinking that faint DSOs will need a long exposure cooled CCD device and that I could conceivably mount said camera on the newt assuming that the mount is up to the job?

I should point out that a full-on imaging rig is not the objective here, that may come in the long term future, but I am keen to get a little further than the bright planets and the moon.

Thanks for any guidance, it will be appreciated.

Archived