Narrowband

Astrotrac GEM mount INCOMING

FLO

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't see why you'd need to.

I have my guidescope clamped like a limpet to the main scope...no guide rings.

Never have a problem finding a guidestar.

With guide rings comes differential flexure. :(

Rob

Ditto. The key thing is to have a fast guide scope, f5 or less. I thought when I started that I got away with a fixed guidescope because I have a clear dark site but lots of UK imagers do as Rob does.

I use Atik 16ic cameras to guide and in four years have never ever failed to find a star. If the PE of the mount is low then having three second guide subs or thereabouts will give loads of time to pick up stars.Ii often have to guide the EQ sixes at less than a second but I still find stars. You can always go into Bin 3 if you have to. In fact it seems to work well for me.

Olly

Well, I'm happy that I made a lucky guess about the integrated guiding, but it looks like I got the size wrong! It's not going to fit on my Manfrotto tripod is it...

Does anyone know if it can do goto? Some nights it takes ages to find my target...

• 2 years later...

Has there been any update on how Astrotrac are getting on with this mount. Haven't heard anything about it in a while, has it been cancelled or is it still in the works.

Has there been any update on how Astrotrac are getting on with this mount. Haven't heard anything about it in a while, has it been cancelled or is it still in the works.

I think it has been shelved but they are becoming rather excited about another project they are working on. They aren't revealing details but they say it will be a game changer...

Archived