Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrotrac GEM mount INCOMING

FLO

They wouldn't even give cagey answers to that question, Rob!!

It is designed to come apart and fit into a case that will go into the airline overhead lockers. It is designed for the travelling (serious) astrophotgrapher...

Oh, and it's very very shiney!!!! :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They wouldn't even give cagey answers to that question, Rob!!

It is designed to come apart and fit into a case that will go into the airline overhead lockers. It is designed for the travelling (serious) astrophotgrapher...

Oh, and it's very very shiney!!!! :)

You would need to be a weight lifter to get that in an overhead locker lol

No disrespect intended here, the guy in the pic behind it (Daz) is not a small guy, he must be about 6ft1" and well built.....

That mount looks huge!!!!

Daz looks quite small in that pic :) I knew I'd seen the face before at the beginners session last year lol

It is smaller than it looks. Astrotrac are also saying it will have the highest "payload capacity per mount weight" on the market.

As long as it has the good gears and motors to go with the good looks it will be a winner I'm sure....

Its actually a lot smaller than the pics might suggest - very roughly about the size of an HEQ5 in bulk but it looks as if it would be lighter. If you think of the guidescope on it as being an 8x50 finder that would gve you a sense of scale to it.

I can't see Astrotrac cocking this up and damaging their deserved high regard in the astro world. I take it, it's been well 'field tested' considering it's getting released in the near future?

As has been previously mentioned, it's what's inside that counts.

Time will tell of course. The fact that it's a UK manufacturer makes me smile.

Andy.

Just been looking at the other Astrotrac stuff... very cool! But being ... 'travelly' can you get good results on them?

Oh and sorry, on actual topic... that looks pricey :) Possibly not going to be having an 'EQ6 or Astrotrac' toss up am I? :)

Indeed it doesn't look cheap but wouldn't it be great to have a 'joined up' product in the world of mounts? As is, everyone can blame everyone else when the guiding goes awry. The software blames the mount, the mount blames the software, the guide rings squeak, 'Who me?' etc etc. Integrating the guide scope is a brilliant idea. It could have its software calibrated to Dec for instance, so it would know its own required correction speed. The software could be written just for one mount. Oh sheer joy of it! The possibilities are endless.

Here's hoping.

Olly

Can that guide scope be adjusted as if it was in guide rings? Bit of a pain having to alter your framing if you can't find a guide star.

No polar alignment scope either by the looks of it? Possibly designed to use that guide scope instead?

Very nice though, would look lovely on my side board as a piece of installation art...

Can that guide scope be adjusted as if it was in guide rings? Bit of a pain having to alter your framing if you can't find a guide star.

Can't see why you'd need to.

I have my guidescope clamped like a limpet to the main scope...no guide rings.

Never have a problem finding a guidestar.

With guide rings comes differential flexure. :(

Rob

Archived