sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Astrotrac GEM mount INCOMING

FLO

We are hearing reports of a new Astrotrac GEM mount due for release next Spring :glasses2:

More information will be available over the coming months but, from conversations with Richard at Astrotrac, it is clear that this will be a precision engineered high performance German Equatorial Mount with some unique innovations that are currently being patented.

At this early stage with patents being registered Astrotrac are understandably tight-lipped but if their existing products are anything to go by this new mount will be beautifully made and be of considerable interest to imagers.

AstroTrac are aiming to have the new mount on show at Astrofest and NEAF 2011.

It is great to see innovative new products coming from a British company :icon_salut:

new_astrotrac_GEM_mount.jpg

For details of the current range of Astrotrac products please visit our website.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have rather jumped the gun by mentioning the new mount before an official press-release but as soon as we are able we will add details to this thread :o

We first heard about this when a picture of the image posted above was displayed on the Astrotrac stand at PATS (Pacific Astronomy Telescope Show) in the US. It was essentially a teaser and Richard was being very vague. We do now have some specifications but they are subject to change as the prototype is currently undergoing testing. For now, let us just say that it will fill a gap in the market...

We find it frustrating not being able to say more as we are genuinely excited about this product. Excited that it is designed and made by Astrotrac, checkout the new Astrotrac TT320X AG and Astrotrac TW3100 wedge for an idea of what they can do, and excited at the feature-set.

Astrotrac_TT320X_AG.jpg

Bit confusing this (am an Astrotrac fan) Is it a mount 'for' the Astrotrac or a GEM mount for any scope etc?

It is designed to accept any suitably sized refracter, Newtonian, SCT, etc. It is separate and different to the Astrotrac TT320X AG. Astrotrac are entering a new, albeit related, market.

HTH,

Steve

Alright, I hope that this mount might fulfil the role of "smallest high precision auto-guided" mount.

I hope for something small and portable, yet able to achieve longer exposures than the astrotrac and remove the reliance on ultra-precise polar alignment.

If I'm dreaming, then maybe a mount with an integrated guidescope and auto-guider, if you can imagine such a thing.

• 4 months later...

... and yes, that is an integrated guidescope and camera in the head/puck

... and yes, it really does look as good in real life as it does in the pictures above... no, actually, much better in real life!

The SGL gang that were there stood here longer than at any other location, just droolling over this piece of engineering.

I'm trying to get a handle on it's physical size. Easier said than done with pics.

Can anyone guestimate the size/diameter of the RA and DEC 'heads' ?

Must say it's a joy to see a UK manufacturer bringing out such quality equipment.

Their original Astrotrac is so much nicer in real life. I've fondled it often at Kielder............

Andy.

Is it just my frazzled mind, or does it look like a wee dog sitting down, with a scope strapped to it's head, looking at the heavens ?!?!?

LOL

Andy.

edit: Noooo more coffee for me today....

Edited by AndyH

... and yes, that is an integrated guidescope and camera in the head/puck

... and yes, it really does look as good in real life as it does in the pictures above... no, actually, much better in real life!

The SGL gang that were there stood here longer than at any other location, just droolling over this piece of engineering.

I even tried swapping my misses for one :)

hehehehehe. Nice.

Does this mean that the 'parking' position for this mount, will be replaced by the 'sitting' postition. Will it be a fetch-to rather than goto?!?!? Would anyone who poo-pooed this mount be classed as barking ?

Coat is off the hanger..........

Andy.

Edited by AndyH

hehehehehe. Nice.

Does this mean that the 'parking' position for this mount, will be replaced by the 'sitting' postition. Will it be a fetch-to rather than goto?!?!? Would anyone who poo-pooed this mount be classed as barking ?

Coat is off the hanger..........

Andy.

HehHeh!, don't you mean 'Barking' Position.?

Ron.

Edited by barkis

I suppose the guide scope is married to the mount accuracy & precision so it doesn't need changing. I'm assuming it has a sensitive CCD (cooled) to allow tracking with high magnification DSOs.

Perhaps "Fido" as a model name.. after all it chases stars and 'fetches' them..

Edited by NickK