SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

yee ha

Sam

I finally decided to get the big dob out again (Lightbridge 16") after quite a break where I've been concentrating on imaging. But tonight the only photon sensor was my eyes and what a treat they had!!!

First up was 5 planets in one night. Venus is starting to get lower and lower and as the evenings get lighter and lighter it's not going to be in a good position for much longer. The planet tonight was a small crescent shape. Next up was Mars but it was very small so no details were visible though the disk was quite clear. The next obvious planet in the sky and over to the east is Jupiter. The bands on the planet were very clear and the four bright moons were nicely placed in a row. Lots of detail was visible on planet. The next two planets I had a look at were Uranus and Neptune. Uranus was quite close to Jupiter and showed a slightly greeny blue colour. The disk was clearly visible. Neptune was the final planet for the evening and was very small but with a blue tinge and the disk just visible.

The next object to have a look at was the Helix Nebula. This was quite large and faint but with a bit of averted vision some of the detail could be observed. The Helix sits in Aquarius and not too far from where Neptune is. Then is was off to see some of the familiar sights I used to look at from the UK with some great views of M2, M15, M71 and finally M27. It was great to see some of the old objects again.

But back to the southern sky where the very bright Sculptor galaxy was next. This galaxy is quite big in the FOV and has a bright core with some mottling visible. Tuc 47 and it's bzillion stars was next - this is a stunning object that just draws the eye in for ages. Because the SMC is quite close by it was worth a wee tour of the globs and nebulae that are in that part of the sky.

Over the last few months I've imaging lots of nebulae so decided to have a look at a few of them. On the way to them there was a couple of globs that looked really great in the FOV together, they were quite small but worth the time (NGC 6255 and NGC 6528). The Lagoon Nebula looked fatantastic, very bright with a clear dust lane running through the middle. The Triffid was not as bright but the structure was clearly visible in both parts.

The Swan nebula clearly looks like a swan and was quite bright. The Eagle was very dim but some detail was visible. Overall an awesome observing session with 5 planets and loads of DSOs bagged and some of them for the first time.:o

Sam

That does it, I'm buying a large Dob and emigrating to the southern hemisphere. Nice report Sam - the mention of objects we can't see here is always interesting. :)

Last night I managed to view about 4 different types of cloud whilst I velcro'd up my pier so all was not lost :o

James

Cheers James. We've had awesome weather here over the last 5 days. It's been over 20 degrees everyday with loads and loads of sunshine and the nights have been crystal clear. It's supposed to turn to custard in time for the weekend though.

My favourite object last night was the Lagoon Nebula, it's very bright with a really brilliant cluster on one side.

Sam

Archived