SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Low Cost Infra Red DSLR- Fujifilm IS PRO

laser_jock99

Came across this bargain DSLR whilst browsing for cameras

Fuji IS Pro Digital SLR | Buy Fuji IS Pro Online

So basicly a brand new IR camera for the same cost of having one modified! The IS PRO is based on the Fuji S5 PRO and takes Nikon lenses, but clearly has the standard UV/IR filter over ther CCD already removed. Mine arrived today so I'm looking forward to trying it out soon. I have some custom made 650nm IR filters which let the H-alpha light through and reject most light pollution so I'll be using these first for some wide angle work. When I get the obsy finished I'll try some more ambitious telescopic work.

Full specs here:

FUJIFILM USA | FinePix IS Pro : Overview

There is not much information on the web regarding astronomical use of these cameras as Fuji hasn't really released the IS PRO on the general public due to risk of possible mis-use. However, several UK outlets appear to be selling them now at knock down pricing. Not bad considering the original release price was $2500. I'm guessing that Fuji may be dumping stock in favour of a newer model (Fuji S6 PRO??)

Have you read the "End User Qualification" declaration you have to fill in to get one? I'm struggling to see what this camera is capable of over a normal modded DSLR to justify such a ridiculous requirement.

Now if it was the photographic equivalent of "x-ray" specs I could understand it :o

Quote:

7. Assurance for the end use

We will use the cameras for non-agressive purposes and for the general benefit of society, we will not use them for the development or the manufacture of weapons of mass destruction, such as nuclear, biological or chemical weapons and missiles.

and you can't resell them without prior consent from Fuji lol

Have you read the "End User Qualification" declaration you have to fill in to get one? I'm struggling to see what this camera is capable of over a normal modded DSLR to justify such a ridiculous requirement.

Now if it was the photographic equivalent of "x-ray" specs I could understand it :o

Quote:

7. Assurance for the end use

We will use the cameras for non-agressive purposes and for the general benefit of society, we will not use them for the development or the manufacture of weapons of mass destruction, such as nuclear, biological or chemical weapons and missiles.

and you can't resell them without prior consent from Fuji lol

Does seem a bit daft when there are umpteen thousand moded DSLR's out there. Still astronomy is listed as one of Fujis legitimate uses so I guess that covers me. Selling the camera without Fuji's written consent is an interesting one though. Good job they're cheap- I'm stuck with it for life seemingly!! I'd also like to know how you could make 'weapons of mass destruction' with one........

I'd be interested to see the results from the camera.

I guess that Fuji are worried about people taking photos of black underwear through white T shirts. They should go round town on a saturday night :s

I'd be interested to see the results from the camera.

I guess that Fuji are worried about people taking photos of black underwear through white T shirts. They should go round town on a saturday night :s

A proper thermal imaging camera is much more fun :o

Due to it being a bit cloudy outside - 'first light' is a picture of the inside of our woodburning stove. ISO 800, f5.6, 1/500th sec, through a deep red Wratten 92 equivalent filter to eliminate most visible light.

Dsir4994.jpg

The different colours of the two flames indicate different burning temperatures. Clearly the hotest part of the fire is the blue/white area. The white area is so hot (or bright in the IR) it has overexposed or saturated the sensor.

I was thinking more.....camera control ie MaximDL

There is some camera control software available (Fuji Finepix HS-V3 Hyper Utility)- but I not sure if it's any use for astronomy as it's probably for tethered studio use. I have it for my S5 Pro - but only for the RAW conversion utility.

A much better bet in the field is to use one those programable intervalometer gadgets so you can programme in no. of shots, exposure length, interval & delay time. Much more portable solution I'd say and equally useful in the obsy. Cheaply available on e-bay:

JYC Timer Shutter Release For FUJI S3 S5 Pro/UVIR on eBay (end time 24-Oct-10 08:02:32 BST)

I have one similar to the above and it will do all the control I need. I might check out the Hyper Utility Software again once the obsy is built.

• 3 years later...

Belated thread update- just in case anyone ever wondered how this camera worked out!!

M8 LAGOON NEBULA 60S ISO3200 12" F2.9

DSIR6899_1024_zps64278459.jpg

NCG7000 200s @ISO3200 12" F2.9

DSIR6839_flat_noels_zps4ba85fc4.jpg

Sadr, Cygnus 300s ISO800 12" F2.9

DSIR6696_stack_curves_luminosity_1024_zp

IC1396 300s ISO3200 12"/F2.9

DSIR6699_003_1024_zpsb2aba912.jpg

Horsehead Nebula 12" F4 in Ha 300s ISO800

DSIR6341_1024_zps46c1de1b.jpg

they look cracking photos,   cant find anywhere selling the camera tho :(    i guess that  one owner thing has made sure of that  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

The Fuji IS Pro was discontinued 2 years ago- the ones my (long dead) link pointed to were last UK stock being sold off at the bargain price of £350. I have seen some for sale in the States still for $4000.

Sorry, I'm having a blond moment, but is a modded camera the same as an IR camera.

The reason I ask is that in terrestrial photography I use my compact IR camera, although I have friends who have had there DSLR converted - is this the same procedure that is used to modify a camera? Therefore meaning modded cameras shoot in IR?

Brenda

Sorry, I'm having a blond moment, but is a modded camera the same as an IR camera.

The reason I ask is that in terrestrial photography I use my compact IR camera, although I have friends who have had there DSLR converted - is this the same procedure that is used to modify a camera? Therefore meaning modded cameras shoot in IR?

Brenda

In answer to your question there are various levels of modifcation for astro use: 

1) IR only - removal of the IR/UV filter but replace with UV only filter.

2) Full Spectrum- Removal of UV/IR replace with fully transmitting quartz window.

3) Full Spectrum + anti aliasing filter removal

Some more info here

http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Dual-Astro-Daylight-Cameras.html

Alternativly there are some 'factory' astro ready models out there:

Canon 20DA http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/eos20da/

Canon 60DA http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_60Da/

And the Fujifilm IS Pro http://www.dpreview.com/news/2007/7/13/fujifilmispro which differred from the Canon offerings as it had extended UV range as well as IR.

As you say there are also some compact camera IR models available too- but I don't know if these can be easily adapted for astro use?

Archived