Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrading firmware Synscan

Have been having problems with my newly purchased SW Mak 127 goto Az, so attempting to upgrade, but no luck there either. :o

Have read and reread directions??

Have DL the the Firmware Loader, and the newer version of the firmware V.307 into folder on desktop, as per instructions.

Attached handset to PC via the 2 cables (RJ-11, and RS-232), then power on pushing 0 8, all OK -says SynScan Update Ver 1.5.

Ok, run the firmwareloader - browse and find the file and put in SynScanV0307AZ.ssf and click update, but no go.

- open file error

Also, my PC doesnt want to recognize the USB on cable RS-232, USB2.0-ser

Have been trying to solve this for last 2 hrs, and even bought PC Health which said it repaired lots things, but still cant open the ssf file

I am using Win 7.

Please help, and thank you :)

My first suspect would be Windows 7 not recognizing your USB to RS232 converter. These converters seem to be slightly flaky devices in my experience, requiring special drivers that Windows does not have pre-installed. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are not yet Windows 7 drivers.

Most USB/RS232 converters have a chip in them made by a company called Prolific, so that might help you find info.

UPDATE: Just had a search. The prolific driver *does* include W7. So if your lead indeed has a Prolific chip, the driver is here: Welcome to Prolific

Thankyou for response. :o

Been playing, and have attached a Keyspan, and PC and handset seem ok, but my laptop is still having trouble with the ssf file.

Comes up 'file open error' so wont do the upgrade.

If it's in a zip file - bring up the Zip window and double click the loader within the Zip window - that usually works for me. If I extract it and then try to run it, it allways gives the same error as yours. Same with other software downloads too.

Thankyou Brantuk.

Have had a play but no go ... you say bring up the zip window and click on the border? It is zip file, but not sure what you mean - double clicking am still unable, or what program should I open it with?

Scope still not working properly, about to turf it over the back fence, but thought I would try the next upgrade V 3.07 one, and said the upgrade was successful.

But ... when I power on the handset it says Ver 1.5??

Is the handset software not really upgraded??:(

Oops, Ok, it now says 3.07.

Try again later, but after aligning one star, I choose another, but scope goes in a different direction, and has been doing this since i bought it.

I put in 146' 30'E 19' 15'S (I know the mark after the 146 is wrong, but its the proper one on the handset ) Am in Townsville, N.Australia.

+10:00

10.11.2010 (11th Oct)

13.35 (1.35pm)

daylight saving - no

cheers

Liz

Hi Liz,

This happened to me. It turned out that I flashed using the wrong firmware. Make sure that you're using "SynScanV0307AZ.ssf" and not "SynScan V0327EQ.ssf".

If you used the wrong firmware you can flash the correct one over the old one. If you're 100% sure you used the right firmware, check that you're entering in your longitude with the correct W or E setting.

I'm sure you're probably correct on the above, but it's worth checking!

Thanks for that too Mike. :(

I upgraded to the latest version yday, and tried last night, and FINALLY, after a month of trying/stress/pulling my hair out/annoying others ... etc, it worked!!

After checking out the comet in the wee hours today, I tried ... again, with the scope. Aligned Alderbaran, then onto Sirius - and it actually went to Sirius!! Wasnt exactly spot on, but close enough.

Sad that it woudnt work on the earlier versions though. :(

Thank you all. :(

Archived