SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Power supply for Skywatcher 300p auto?

After only getting a few nights worth of tracking from 8 Duracells I thought it was about time to crack out something more appropriate. My trusty 12v power station was finally charged and ready for action....alas it's been a while and it's now only giving me 6v, ok I have a few other 12v leisure batteries that I can try. Whilst searching for bits I stumbled across an old Maplin power supply - this one to be precise: ACDC MultiVoltage 1200mA Regulated Power Supply : Regulated Power Supplies : Maplin it supplies a regulated 12v with a max power of 1200mAh - anyone know the power consumption of the motors? is this enough?

I use a 5A psu wch drives both my scopes at the same time more than adequately (cpc and flextube) as well as a dew controller and 2 dew straps. A new 17Ah power pack from Maplins is only around £35 when they're on offer and work very well (one per scope) and last for 1 or 2 all night sessions. The scopes use between 1 and 1.5A per scope.

This is the one that I have Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 300P FlexTube AUTO so would the tracking be more accurate with a 5a supply? what would be the issue with using the 1200mA one?

1200mA is only 1.2 amps so wont be powerfull enough. I should think you need 2A minimum, but like others have stated go for 5A then you are coverd.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but just a quick question as I'm thinking of one of the new goto dobs - I'm sure there's an obvious answer to this but why can't you run these off rechargeable batteries instead of using power packs?

Yes - those £20 ones are ok. I can also confirm the jump starter on them works as well. I had a flat battery when leaving Kelling this year and used one of those to get the car going.

The pack I quoted is the 5-in-1 wich is a little dearer but has a big flashlight, jump leads, comressor, inverter, and twin ciggy lighter sockets. So in the dark you can start the car, blow up an air bed, watch tv and run 2 scopes all at the same time lol (well for 30 seconds at least). :o

It was one of the 5 in 1's that died on me :-( my own fault though, it's not been charged for a while....ok I've bought one of the £20 one's from Maplin, but would I be better of with 5a power supply as suggested by a few of you? (I don't like the the idea of having to charge it all the time)

If so, does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers

Steve

I have the 5A PSU from Maplins too, with 2 ciggy sockets on it. S'posed to be for in car items but works fine for scopes when plugged into campsite EHU's and mains sockets at home. I use it for 1 scope and a dew controller with 2 heat straps and it never complains :o

Thanks again for all the info guys, the new power tank is charged and ready to go, it must have an auto cut off as it's stopped charging ever since it reached 14v. Even though it feels a bit cheap and nasty compared to my old one (well it is) it has a proper voltage gauge instead of lights which makes a lot more sense to me :-)

Archived