Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Beyond_Vision

Andromeda Unchained

Really pleased how this image has panned out despite the less than ideal conditions. It was taken from my light polluted back garden with data from Wednesday and Friday night of this week, with the Moon washing out the skies a little.

Exposure 17x 10 minutes.

Captured with Maxim5 and stacked with DSS, post processed in Pix-Insight using DBE and HDR tools. Finished off in PSCS3.

The HDR routine in Pix Insight has really brought out the detail down to the core. :D:headbang:

beyondvision-albums-deep-sky-picture6979

Regards

Kevin

Blimey Kevin, you've really nailed this. It's just superb, but a shame the whole galaxy is not seen. Not a criticism by any means, and I'm not being pickie. I would just have loved to have seen the whole Island.:)

Ron.:o

Edited by barkis

I agree Ron I was contemplating rotating the camera a little but was pressed for time as I was really doing a run to test out a new mini PC. I will certainly be doing this again to fit it all in. Previously I have used a 0.8x reducer and could fit it all in nicely. The WO Triplet APO flattener is not a reducer so it's a tighter fit where M31 will only fit across the diagonal of the CCD.

Regards

Kevin

Edited by BeyondVision

That is incredible detail and contrast in the dusty spirals, gives a sense of depth also.

Beautiful M31, lots of detail especially in that core...

Nadeem.

Brilliant.

All that detail in the core really gives the sense of the spinning motion of the whole galaxy.

I agree Ron I was contemplating rotating the camera a little but was pressed for time as I was really doing a run to test out a new mini PC. I will certainly be doing this again to fit it all in. Previously I have used a 0.8x reducer and could fit it all in nicely. The WO Triplet APO flattener is not a reducer so it's a tighter fit where M31 will only fit across the diagonal of the CCD.

Regards

Kevin

M31 is such an Imposing object, and the archetypical spiral galaxy.

I feel as though looking at it, is like looking back at our own Milky Way, albeit 31 is much larger. I hope you do manage to get a full expanse image of it in the near future.

:o

Edited by BeyondVision

That is a great image, is this a colour camera? Really love it!

Fay

That is a great image, is this a colour camera? Really love it!

Fay

Yes Fay it's a one shot colour 6MP camera.

Thanks for the great comments :o

Regards

Kevin

Love the dust contrasted against the core.

John.

Wonderful detail Kevin, not jus the dust lanes but the starry outer regions as well.

I've just purchased PixInsight and have been playing with the HDRwavelet tool. It has quite a distinctive effect which this image shows - pronounced contrast and it seems to make things a little brown.

You can use the tool with a luminance mask and protect hue set. There are so many possibilities for the settings which will be subject dependant.

What a result! Nicely done, Kevin :o

Fantastic picture Kevin, awesome colours and detail

All the best

Jamie

Very impressive Kevin, the detail ghas been brought out beautifully.

Where on earth did you get clear skies :o

Cheers

Rob

Wow, thats really impressive, I really like it.