SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comments on Orion ED80T-CF

It's identical to the Telescope Service FPL-53 80/480 Triplet except for the carbon tube.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p3881_TS-

Triplet-FPL53-Apo-80-480mm---f-6---no-colour-fringes.html

I have the TS 80/480 and it is a cracking little scope that's a step above the Meade 80mm triplet (which has FPL-51 equivalent glass) and doublets such as the Equinox 80, and very, very close to the TMB in performance.

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/108870-ts-triplet-fpl-53-apo-80-480-arived-today.html#post1544334

John

Hi

I don't think that there's any downside to the CF tube except that the quoted weight for the Orion ED80T CF OTA is 2.72KG and I weighed the TS 80 OTA (no diagonal) at 2.4 Kg so it appears that the TS 80 is actually lighter than the CF. :o The weight given on the Telescope service website is incorrect and I think that the weight shown may actually be for the OTA and case.

It might be worth calling SCS Astro and asking them to double check the OTA weight quoted for the CF (is it the bare OTA weight).

John

Hi

I just double checked the TS 80/480 bare OTA weight. I have replaced the standard focuser that was damaged with a Baader Steeltrack. The Baader focuser is 145 g heavier than the standard focuser so I'm giving the total weights for both focusers.

With standard focuser:

With the lens cover - 2.385 Kg.

Without the lens cover - 2.335 Kg

Without the lens cover and 1.25" to 2" eyepiece adaptor - 2.255 Kg

With Baader focuser

With the lens cover - 2.53 Kg.

Without the lens cover - 2.48 Kg

Without the lens cover and 1.25" to 2" eyepiece adaptor - 2.40 Kg

So it appears that the CF OTA is actually a little bit heavier than the aluminium OTA. :(

John

Archived