Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quick observing report 3rd October

Albireo380

Observing report from this afternoon (03/10/2010)

I don't usually observe the sun, but had access to my local Astro Soc's PST, so thought it might be worth a try.

I set up in my back garden initially with an 80mm ‘Fract on an HEQ5. I synched on Mercury (or where I thought it was) and then tracked over to the Sun. I projected the image onto large white board and saw Sunspot Group 1109 using a 20mm Plossl, I changed up to a 12.5mm and got a reasonable view of the Umbra with a feint Penumbra around it. I could not see sunspot 1111, but this is perhaps not surprising as it is tiny.

I then put the PST on the Mount and had another look (with a towel around my head - it must have looked weird). I focused on sunspot 1109 and changed to a 6mm Plossl (with a 400mm focal length, the magnification was therefore x66.7). Interestingly, with a small movement of the Etalon, I could see an arc of a prominence next to the sunspot group, as I watched, it changed into a “blob” above the limb of the Sun, and I could no longer see a stream joining it to the Sun itself.

I then moved around the limb of the Sun, and could see several other prominences, including some more blobs, a couple of arcs and a few vertical streamers. One arc was huge and curved back around into the limb of the Sun, in a flattened curve.

All in all, a pleasant hour or so of Solar observing. :o I enjoyed it so much, I think I may get a white light filter and do a wee bit of imaging of sunspots.

Tom

Very nice report Tom. Sunspot 1109 has some very nice detail around it and as you say, a smaller spot too. I couldn't see at first either but after switching to a 7mm Ortho it popped into view.

I have no Ha scope but that view just sounds awesome.

Archived