Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My Portable power

msinclairinork

Hello all,

Just thought I would share my little power soloution. I know its nothing new nor is it complicated to do (about 10mins of work) but i'm still proud of it.

It is a 75amp/hr lessure battery (£50)

240v 300w Inverter (£20)

3 stage charger (£15)

an ebay car voltage meter (£3! new)

and a 2x car 12v output. (£7)

-------------------------------

Total £95

-------------------------------

This is mainly to run my laptop in the field, but I will probably run everything else of it too once i get the cables. e.g camera & mount.

According to my calculations I should manage to run my lappy on its own for around 6+/- hours that is taking into acount a good bit of voltage drop throughout the system i.e the inverter etc. So that should suffice nicley. I am testing it as i type :)

Going to build a nice box for it all to sit in and have the connections and meter reading flush on the outside and i might aswell insulate the box with some glassfiber out of the attic :o

Will post pics soon with that.

Thanks for looking :headbang:

Michael

post-19381-133877488192_thumb.jpg

What's the output voltage of the laptop power supply? If it's 12V or less you wouldn't need to use the inverter up to 240V and then back down, which is a lot less efficient.

Just a thought .. ;-) Otherwise a very nice idea. ;-)

I use 2 x 20Ah gel cells, one for the mount and the other for the "extras" The batteries usually outlast me during an observing session!!

I then put them on the triple stage charger- then (weather permitting!) they are back in action the next morning for solar imaging.

Sounds spot on Ken.

Well after a good testing I managed to get about 5 and a half hours out of the batt, but i will also get an additional 1hr out of the laptop battery too.

Don't know how well this will fair in a cold winters night but as you say Ken it will no doubt out do me :o

Cheers,

Michael

Don't use the Power Inverter to power the laptop, there is to much power loss in the conversion.

I have a 110Ahr battery all built into a portable plywood box and I also have many different output connections available:-

2 x 12v via Car Aux socket

1 x 12V Crox clips

1 x 240Vac 150w Inverter.

1 X DC Power Adaptor ( Trust.com - Notebook Power Adapter Car - Plane PW-1200p)

Using the power adaptor is easy and gives me many many hours of laptop usage compared to the inverter.

A wise electronics guy told me this a few years back.

Archived