Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from the Isle of Wight

Andrew_iow

Hi all

I am Andrew, I live on the Isle of Wight and have done for almost 20 years, I have been in to astronomy for about 15 years. I have been working at the Island Planetarium (which I now help run) for the last 13 years!

I don't get outside as much as I would like to do, oddily my work keeps me busy doing other things.

Look forward to meaning new people and talking, etc, etc!

:icon_salut:

Andrew

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all

I am Andrew, I live on the Isle of Wight and have done for almost 20 years, I have been in to astronomy for about 15 years. I have been working at the Island Planetarium (which I now help run) for the last 13 years!

I don't get outside as much as I would like to do, oddily my work keeps me busy doing other things.

Look forward to meaning new people and talking, etc, etc!

:o

Andrew

Welcome, Andrew!

Island Planetarium? Details please! I shall book a trip on our next family holiday jaunt over to the island :)

I've never been to a Planetarium. What can I expect to see at one? Do you do open days or do you require group/private bookings?

Hi Andrew & welcome!

I visited the Isle of Wight last year for the first time, and I was impressed by the skies down there! (Mind you, it's hard to imagine anywhere worse than London...!) I stayed in Ventnor and the night sky was brilliant!

I'd love to be able to live somewhere with dark skies, but this working for a living really gets in the way of that ;-)

Thanks alot guys for the welcome. :)

Is that the planetarium at fort Victoria? Went there last year, loved it.

Yes it is, thanks alot, we have a new digital system that I have installed earilier this year. I am working on a brand new show for next year.

Welcome, Andrew!

Island Planetarium? Details please! I shall book a trip on our next family holiday jaunt over to the island :o

I've never been to a Planetarium. What can I expect to see at one? Do you do open days or do you require group/private bookings?

Hey, We are based at Yarmouth in the West Wight. Its a dome on to which we project the night sky and tell you stories about the stars and finding your way around. We are open every day from Easter until the need of October (during school term we have school bookins so booking is a good idea)

Island Planetarium - AstroDome 360 : Fort Victoria Isle of Wight- Welcome to the Universe

Hi Andrew & welcome!

I visited the Isle of Wight last year for the first time, and I was impressed by the skies down there! (Mind you, it's hard to imagine anywhere worse than London...!) I stayed in Ventnor and the night sky was brilliant!

I'd love to be able to live somewhere with dark skies, but this working for a living really gets in the way of that ;-)

Got to love the skies here, well last night wasnt any good but thats the joy of the Planetarium we can simulate the night sky :headbang:

Got to love the skies here, well last night wasnt any good but thats the joy of the Planetarium we can simulate the night sky :)

That is pretty cool, Andrew. It sounds like you have a very interesting and valuable job; educating and inspiring young people about astronomy and space is a valuable service. I'm going to come and visit your planetarium in the future :o

Archived