Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader ortho or University Optics ortho?!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian's assuming that you're talking about the high-grade University HD Orthos which are nearly identical to Baader Orthos - but you're actually referring to Volcano Tops.

University Optics sell three types of orthos:

- The low-end budget ones, which are plasticky but functional

- The mid-range classic Volcano Tops - very nice - that's the 5mm you're referring to.

- The top-end HD Orthos - these are effectively the same as the Baader Orthos

In answer to your question then, the Baader is considered top-end, the Volcano Top is mid-range. Both are excellent. For more info click these links:

- The University Optics Web Site (shows all three types)

- A comparitive review of the two types

Forgot to say - you must bear in mind that BOTH of these eyepieces have VERY tight eye-relief - you have to press your eye very close to the eyepiece.

The view of the Baader is bettered only by the TMB Monocentric (£120 second-hand), or a Pentax XO (£250 new) or a Zeiss Abbe Ortho (don't ask). All of these have tight eye-relief.

For a more comfortable experience, you could try a TeleVue Radian (£180) or a TMB Designed Planetary (£36)

Hi Folks,

a friend of mine has both a Baader Genuine Ortho and a University Optics HD Ortho.

The coatings of both Orthos look absolutely identical. I own both a U.O. HD and

3 conical top orthos. Even observing the moon I cannot say that the HD is better.

Straylight is low in all of them, but the do not have the same level as a 5mm Pentax XO.

So my optinion is:

They are very good. But there are even better planetary eyepieces.

Comparisons were made on several nights using a 200/1200mm ATM Newt

and a 100/800mm TMB (Lens made by Lomo) Apochrmat.

Cheers, Karsten

Forgot to say - you must bear in mind that BOTH of these eyepieces have VERY tight eye-relief - you have to press your eye very close to the eyepiece.

I have a 25mm UO volcano top and I find that the opposite is true, I have to move my eye well away from the EP to get a view. There is a lot of blackout until you get it right, then the views are superb. I find that as the EPs go up the magnification scale my eye gets closer to the lens.

Now I wear specs, but not for observing, but even with the glasses on the same applies, I agree about the eye relief, it is tight.

I have a 25mm UO volcano top and I find that the opposite is true, I find that as the EPs go up the magnification scale my eye gets closer to the lens.

Yes - that's right. With both Plossls and Orthos the eye-relief is a simple fraction of the focal length - from very long to very, very short! :icon_salut:

a friend of mine has both a Baader Genuine Ortho and a University Optics HD Ortho.

The coatings of both Orthos look absolutely identical.

They have been known to be different under previous examinations - but I have always suspected that these differences might be temporary batch differences and that - sooner or later - both the BGOs and UO-HDs would settle down to being exactly the same.

Depends...

Brand new they're £55 from Lyra Optic, £60 from Edmund Optics, and a whopping £72 from 365Astronomy, so if that eyepiece is literally an unused brand new one, then at £45 it's a good price.

I myself paid £39 for one the other day which was brand new.

On the other hand, very recently someone here on SGL picked up TWO for £35 right here in the For Sale section - that's £17.50 each...

I suspect that ones price is a little higher because of the branding - University Optics is a respected name which some people are prepared to pay a little more for. I believe the UO orthos are made by the same manufacturer as the unbranded ones - Kokusai Kohki in Japan:

Kokusai Kohki goods

The UO ones may have a slightly higher standard of coatings than the unbranded versions but they perform pretty much the same.

I sold a 4mm unbranded KK ortho a month or two ago for £22 delivered ! - that was in excellent condition.

They're not made by Kokusai Kohki - they just export them from the same factory that University Optics do.

The orthos are made by "Circle-T". However, precisely who Circle-T are remains a closely-guarded secret. Even the most diligent and/or obsessive eyepiece fans have never uncovered the name or location of the Circle-T factory.

People have had theories - but they've always been proved wrong.

They're not made by Kokusai Kohki - they just export them from the same factory that University Optics do.

The orthos are made by "Circle-T". However, precisely who Circle-T are remains a closely-guarded secret. Even the most diligent and/or obsessive eyepiece fans have never uncovered the name or location of the Circle-T factory.

People have had theories - but they've always been proved wrong.

it's in the Bermuda T :o

The UO ones may have a slightly higher standard of coatings than the unbranded versions.

Nope - and there's never been any claim to the contrary. They're all the same.

Just plain ol' Circle-Ts - the same as the Telescope House versions, and all the others, except with the words "University Optics" on the sides.

Archived