Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First scope

Hi all.

I am looking for a bit of advice on my first scope, i have been reading about various scopes for a few days now and have learnt that magnification isn't everything and good optics and sturdy mount are more inportant.

With all the above would any of the below scopes be any good, i want something me and my daughter can use to get good views of the moon and possibly other planets?

Celestron*AstroMaster 130 EQ & EQ MD (MotorDrive) Telescopes: Best Deals On Astronomical Telescopes, Eyepieces and Accessories - Skywatcher, Meade, William Optics, Bosma, Bresser, Celestron, Helios At Ace Cameras - Canon, Leica, Swarovski, Bushnell,

Bresser Bresser Pluto-114 Astronomy telescope starter kit with free Astro Box

Sky Watcher EXPLORER-130EM 130mm (5.1") f/900 Newtonian Reflector with RA motor drive

Any help greatly appreciated.

Personally I would forget the 114, its a fast scope with less aperture, not good for cheaper eyepieces, of the celestron and skywatcher either really, I have had neither but the skywatcher has had good feedback here.

Personally I would forget the 114, its a fast scope with less aperture, not good for cheaper eyepieces, of the celestron and skywatcher either really, I have had neither but the skywatcher has had good feedback here.

Thanks MarkF, is a faster aperture not best then? (I am used to camera's where it is :(

Also isn't the skywatcher faster than the 114mm as it has a 130mm diameter (Or am i totally confused :icon_salut:

Thanks MarkF, is a faster aperture not best then? (I am used to camera's where it is :(

Also isn't the skywatcher faster than the 114mm as it has a 130mm diameter (Or am i totally confused :icon_salut:

The 130mm Skywatcher has a focal length of 900mm and that, divided by the aperture (130mm) is F/6.9 - a medium speed scope.

Do the same maths on the 114mm Bresser and you will see that it's an F/4.4 so a faster scope.

The Skywatcher will be more versatile and will perform better with low cost eyepieces (ie: the ones that come with it !).

I can only comment on the SkyWatcher 130p with Clock drive, I had this as my first scope and it gave great service, the views were extremely nice. I have upgraded now to the 200p, but the 130 was very useful, and I did some photography with it, although mainly digi-scope method, my DSLR was too heavy for the focusing tube!

Ray

The 130mm Skywatcher has a focal length of 900mm and that, divided by the aperture (130mm) is F/6.9 - a medium speed scope.

Do the same maths on the 114mm Bresser and you will see that it's an F/4.4 so a faster scope.

The Skywatcher will be more versatile and will perform better with low cost eyepieces (ie: the ones that come with it !).

Thank you, i don't mind spending extra on some eyepieces if they will improve the scope.

I can only comment on the SkyWatcher 130p with Clock drive, I had this as my first scope and it gave great service, the views were extremely nice. I have upgraded now to the 200p, but the 130 was very useful, and I did some photography with it, although mainly digi-scope method, my DSLR was too heavy for the focusing tube!

Ray

Thanks Ray

The other reason for dismissing the 114 is I started with a 114 albeit an f8 and the aperture is not really the best for DSO, the way I see the focal length is in terms of magnification. The slower the scope the more magnification you can get out of an eyepiece, but around 200x is about max for normal conditions in the UK. The smaller the eyepiece the less light it lets in the poorer the view, so good mag with a larger eyepiece should give you the best view.

I am not the most knowledgeable on these things that's for sure, but it really depends what you are expecting to view. There is no one scope that will do it all perfectly.

Its a nightmare buying your first scope and sometimes your second and third :icon_salut: the biggest issue is the diversity. Look through some of the threads and you will see people going round and round in circles trying to work out the best scope to buy.

Don't know if this will help?

Some pics taken with a Sky-Watcher 130 I have dug out:

Although the view through the EP are a lot better than captured on my camera:

All taken with the Sky-Watcher 130mm

post-19590-133877487863_thumb.jpg

post-19590-133877487866_thumb.jpg

post-19590-133877487869_thumb.jpg

post-19590-133877487871_thumb.jpg

post-19590-133877487873_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mark, i have read the link, very helpfull.

I'm sure i'd like the hobby, the skies fasinate me, my only problem is i am extremely impatient :icon_salut:

I am going to do some more reading before i make my mind up but i think i may go for the sky watcher 130mm.

Thanks

I am as impatient as the next person too :icon_salut: but you really need to do the groundwork, if you get the wrong scope it may disappoint and put you off.

I am sure the skywatcher will be great, but look at Dobs too, different mount but you get more aperture for your money, its all horses for courses and don't dismiss second hand, most astro stuff is cared for by their owners you will get more for your money and of course if you don't like it won't lose so much if you decide to sell.

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

I'm also pretty sure any/most 130mm scope's will produce reasonable results, I was swayed by the sky at Night review on the scope, and same for the 200mm. The 130mm will give you reasonable results with Saturn, Jupiter, Mars and of course the Moon. As for DSO's M31, M57, M13 are ok, most clusters are fine, but a lot of DSO's are fuzzy, but then again the 200mm is only slightly better at DSO's, larger image & better resolving power.

Just don't get your hopes up and seeing NASA type images with a 5.1" reflector, it takes time to learn the sky and it also takes time to learn how to get the best out of your scope, what ever diameter you decide on.

My comments are based on having the 130mm & 200mm side by side and viewing objects with each, although I have now sold the 130mm I still rate this scope and I have looked through quite a few scopes that other users have locally.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your choice.

Ray

Thanks Mark, i have read the link, very helpfull.

I'm sure i'd like the hobby, the skies fasinate me, my only problem is i am extremely impatient :icon_salut:....

A quick friendly warning here :(

Astronomy is not really a hobby of "quick wins" in my opinion. It takes time to select the right gear, time to learn the sky and time to learn how to use the equipment and to train your eyes to "see" properly.

With the exception of the moon, the first views through telescopes are often underwhelming if you are expecting too much - planets seem tiny, deep sky objects faint or invisible.

With patience and spending time on the hobby, the results, and the rewards, will come though ;)

Sorry if this seems rather dull advice but I felt it was worth saying.

You mention that you don't mind spending more money on decent eyepieces, be aware that for an F/4.4 scope you can easily spend more than the scope costs for a single eyepiece that would perform really well with it !.

So it is worth thinking about the spec of the scope and understanding the pros and cons before you buy.

I am sure the skywatcher will be great, but look at Dobs too, different mount but you get more aperture for your money.

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

Dobs??, i shall take a look at the buy and sell site.

Thanks

I'm also pretty sure any/most 130mm scope's will produce reasonable results, I was swayed by the sky at Night review on the scope, and same for the 200mm. The 130mm will give you reasonable results with Saturn, Jupiter, Mars and of course the Moon. As for DSO's M31, M57, M13 are ok, most clusters are fine, but a lot of DSO's are fuzzy, but then again the 200mm is only slightly better at DSO's, larger image & better resolving power.

Just don't get your hopes up and seeing NASA type images with a 5.1" reflector, it takes time to learn the sky and it also takes time to learn how to get the best out of your scope, what ever diameter you decide on.

My comments are based on having the 130mm & 200mm side by side and viewing objects with each, although I have now sold the 130mm I stall rate this scope and I have looked through quite a few scopes that other users locally have.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your choice.

Ray

Thanks Ray, that helps alot.

Nick

Archived