Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Embarrassing Jupiters webcam clinic

That is shot  with a 2x barlow. I have read a bit further on and seen the settings you posted. So once the skys clear I will try again.

And this maybe a silly question. But to keep good tracking on Jupiter. Can you guide off it?

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything I can improve on? I have tried gain and brightness and not much difference I found.

You could work on this file in photoshop (or free in gimp):

Levels, curves, unsharp filter, high pass filter...

There are good video tutorials on YouTube.

I've never tried it, but I don't think PHD would like a big bright blop to guide with. Would probably give you an error message ala "star saturated".

Guiding is not really necessary, since you take so many short exposures that the small movements do not really matter.

But it needs a sturdy mount to get a more stable experience I suppose...

• 1 month later...

Here we go, my first Jupiter for a couple of years.

Shot with no barlow in my 150PL, I have forgotten the best way to colour it as no colour has come through.

Taken with sharp cap and SPC900.

Would I be better off using the DMK41, logic says I would.

post-8383-0-88820400-1394453263.jpg

Hello,

I've managed to get out FOUR nights in a row to get some much needed practice but i came back with all similar results.These are the best ones from each night,i just 

cant get as much detail as i would like out .Im trying gain and exposure at all different levels (in Sharpcap), frame rate and fps but nothing really helps it.Im sure focus 

is good when focusing up with jupiters moons but surely it cant be bad seeing on all 4 nights can it? Would the moon being quite close to jup make it tricky?

Any help would much appreciated  

post-10108-0-64485800-1394804817.jpg  

post-10108-0-90379300-1394804839.jpg

post-10108-0-78900400-1394804858.jpg

post-10108-0-91144900-1394804749.jpg                                            

These are pretty good results - you may be able to sharpen them further with Photoshop's high pass filters (YouTube videos on how to).

Otherwise I was thinking, it looks like you used a Barlow? My first Barlow was from Celestron and I couldn't get any decent image with it at all. I bought a meade and a TAL (2x and 3x Barlow) which made a big difference.

Might be that this is causing you grief.

Cheers,

i was using my meade barlow and i did use extension tube between them for a bit which didn't work out.Also Im trying to stack around the 2000 mark at 10fps,is this about right or can you longer i never really know?They say to capture it darker rather than brighter but even if i go slighty dark i get a bad result so maybe it gets a bit washed out by going too light,who know's...

Cheers guys,

I actually had a good night last night at last.I tried astrocapture instead and found i could see more detail on the screen than sharpcap which helped with the focusing loads and had much better images,

but im sure the seeing played a big part too. Either way im dead chuffed with these results! Not done any tweeking yet just wavelets. Now i need to mess about with wxastro

settings now.

post-10108-0-16310100-1395072739.jpg

post-10108-0-34912800-1395072840.jpg

post-10108-0-00133600-1395072862_thumb.j

That's a spectacular improvement.

Tonight I tried with my DMK41 and got these which are a improvement on my last effort but not as drastic as dazmoraz's.

I also used a x2 barlow this time, I'd love to try a x3 but I can never get it on screen.

The one I think is better is the one done in Registax 6 but it left an artefact in it.

post-8383-0-23971200-1395085827.jpg

post-8383-0-21604900-1395085833.jpg

Cheers Russe, I might try without the SWx2 barlow and see if it pulls more detail out because as you say the cheaper barlows can be, well cheap. I do have a Tal x3 which if I can get it on screen should put my scope in a good focal range.

looks good.

Without telling how to do it but i find it a bit easier to put x2 centered on screen then check focuser again to get it right in the middle of cross hair then whack up gain and exposure for the x3 so you can 

work from the focuser as well.

I must have another try with as!2

Hello to all!

Here's my firt's images from Jupiter taken with my new Skymax 127

Jupiter 19 3 2014

I just love Registax 6, It's amazing what it can do! 

Jupiter 19-03-2014

I have a lot to learn but I believe i'm in good path.
Thanks to all

Hi Nx650,

Nice images - way better than my first! :rolleyes:  You're definitely off to a good start there.  I'm a couple of years into imaging with the same scope as you and still learning everytime I use it!  It's a wonderful little scope, and with Mars and Saturn coming around, not to mention the moon, you're in for a real treat!

• 3 weeks later...

post-26268-0-34399700-1396727176.jpg

I am experimenting with my new ASI120MM for the first time as a planetary camera. I bought it to guide with also. I attached it with a 2.5x powermate to my 200P and captured 60 seconds of frames using Firecapture. No filters. Histogram 75%. Gamma 50% to avoid onion rings (ZWO advice). gain about 41. Processed in VirtualDub, Castrator, VirtualDub and Registax 6. Big images are with powermate, smaller ones without but look hideously blocky when I increase image size.

A couple of questions as I am desperate to improve my images.

I selected Jupiter from the options and I had to select "red" filter as other choices produced very dull greys or bright white on screen. Did I do the right thing?

I would like to get a filter wheel but everything I read says I will have trouble with focus on my 200P. Is there a way round this? Would my ED80 produce any decent results with my equipment?

Any advice whatsoever would be appreciated!

Many thanks

Bob

your images look fine. and considering conditions have been terrible recently
can't advise on the filter wheel causing focus issues, one of the reasons I went for Colour, to avoid any issues with focusing or mounting

your images look fine. and considering conditions have been terrible recently

can't advise on the filter wheel causing focus issues, one of the reasons I went for Colour, to avoid any issues with focusing or mounting

Thanks I really appreciate your comments. Might need to consider that option if focus issue can not be resolved.

here is the last in a long run of many attempts at getting a credible Jupiter.

Seeing was reasonable, but it is taken form urban Brixton, surrounded by houses, the planet always shimers and dances regardless of conditions, im thinking thermal currents from the houses. so is this the best i can do from my current loccation?

Celestron C9.25

DMK 21 618 AU colour

x2 altar barlow

4000 frames with the best 50% stacked

Pipp and registax 6

post-30982-0-44291900-1396863413.jpg

Archived