SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Embarrassing Jupiters webcam clinic

james - hi.. i'm afraid it's inwards focus thats the issue, i managed to get focus working by having to use the 2x barlow, which gave me some leway on the focal point, but having the 2 x barlow only gives me about 3 seconds of viewing..

with just the cam in the tube, i have to run it full forward and it's just out of focal reach....

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you get a longer exposure? It looks like a capture artefact due to insufficient sensor illumination to me, but I'd probably not want to take the gain any higher than it is.

James

Thanks James, will try that.

As a matter of interest I decided to stack the same frames using AS!2 and then go back the RS6 and use the same wavelet setting - no blocky image????

could this therefore be something with Registack6???

james - hi.. i'm afraid it's inwards focus thats the issue, i managed to get focus working by having to use the 2x barlow, which gave me some leway on the focal point, but having the 2 x barlow only gives me about 3 seconds of viewing..

with just the cam in the tube, i have to run it full forward and it's just out of focal reach....

you could try adjusting the primary mirror collimation + locking screws so moving the mirror further up the tube a little (obviously everything with need re-collimating). This will only give a little less distance between secondary and primary mirrors and therefore a little more focus.

Worth a try if you’ve done collimating before.

Heres my my second attempt using the scope below, 2xBarlow & X-Box cam.

Capture 12_9_2012 7_44_02 PM.bmp

These are the settings I used.Video Camera ]

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=25.00

Colour Space / Compression=YUY2

Exposure=-7

Brightness=161

Contrast=72

Hue=16

Saturation=67

Sharpness=67

Gamma=187

WhiteBalance=3566

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=112

Does anyone know why its so blue?? :confused:

you could try adjusting the primary mirror collimation + locking screws so moving the mirror further up the tube a little (obviously everything with need re-collimating). This will only give a little less distance between secondary and primary mirrors and therefore a little more focus.

Worth a try if you’ve done collimating before.

Yes, moving the mirror on the collimation screws may well work if you just need a few millimetres more inwards travel. Otherwise it's a case of repositioning the mirror cell further up the OTA, or changing to a low-profile focuser I think.

James

Heres my my second attempt using the scope below, 2xBarlow & X-Box cam.

These are the settings I used.Video Camera ]

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=25.00

Exposure=-7

Brightness=161

Contrast=72

Hue=16

Saturation=67

Sharpness=67

Gamma=187

WhiteBalance=3566

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=112

Does anyone know why its so blue?? :confused:

When I did these images:

xbox.png

I used these settings:

[Video Camera ]

Frame Divisor=1

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=10.00

Exposure=-4

Brightness=72

Contrast=27

Hue=-3

Saturation=63

Sharpness=0

Gamma=180

WhiteBalance=4295

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=49

The images still came out very purple. As your settings are quite different from mine perhaps it's something that happens in the camera firmware. What I did in the end was to re-balance the histogram in Registax after stacking, bringing the green up a fair bit more.

James

When I did these images:

xbox.png

I used these settings:

[Video Camera ]

Frame Divisor=1

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=10.00

Exposure=-4

Brightness=72

Contrast=27

Hue=-3

Saturation=63

Sharpness=0

Gamma=180

WhiteBalance=4295

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=49

The images still came out very purple. As your settings are quite different from mine perhaps it's something that happens in the camera firmware. What I did in the end was to re-balance the histogram in Registax after stacking, bringing the green up a fair bit more.

James

Thanks James, I saw these photo's in a comparison thread u did earlier (one of the reasons I got the X-box cam) Very nice images!! :laugh:

Thanks James, will try that.

As a matter of interest I decided to stack the same frames using AS!2 and then go back the RS6 and use the same wavelet setting - no blocky image????

could this therefore be something with Registack6???

Registax (particularly v6) does seem quite intolerant of lower quality data. Certainly it seems far less forgiving than AS!2. It's entirely possible that the artefacts show up because of that. I'd still take it as an indicator that you might benefit from more gain though.

James

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

These are my most recent attempts using all the settings you guys have mentioned along with some better avi capturers.

I am looking at buying a new scope and mount but feel like I should keep pushing my current kit before I spend a PPI payment on a scope! :-)

post-26917-0-43785300-1357935555_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

I may be asking alot here, but I've not had a go at imaging for a while, bad weather, blah blah. Had a go tonight and got the attached basic image, I've played around with it in Serif X5 and got something a bit better but the file format wont let me publish. could someone please take a look and let me know if theres anything else in there. Set up used as sig, plus celestron x2 barlow stacked with tal x2. Have I over reached the scope? or are things out of focus?

Any advice welcome,

Thanks

Sully

now2.tif

That last one looks pretty good, though I'd try stacking it in AS!2 and using Registax for wavelets as there appear to be some stacking artefacts in the image.

Planetary imaging is quite tough with a dob so I think you're doing pretty well.

James

Hi guys,

Recently finished modding my first webcam - Xbox Livecam

I'm Having some trouble getting colour into Jupiter!

Here is one of my first attempts, but all the Avi's I collect seem to be black and white.

I'm using sharpcap, I guess I'm missing something obvious, any ideas?

Couple of notes that may/may not be helpful:

• There is a security light near by, could this be washing away the colour?
  • Webcam Lens and Stock IR removed
  • I'm using a Baader UV/IR Cut filter on the webcam

Any advice welcome please. Can't seem to improve the clarity if my Jupiters. Using Xbox cam, IR square removed, another IR filter screwed in, about 3500 frames, 200P dob, SharpCap:

As already mentioned by James you seem to have some artefacts esp. In image 3. What tracking, if any, are you using as I have

similar vertical lines when I try to stack an avi in which Jupiter is drifting across the frame.

Hi James,

Here is the settings file for the image posted earlier and a seperate one from another night that turned out similar.

Frame Divisor=1

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=20.00

Exposure=-6

Brightness=118

Contrast=56

Hue=2

Saturation=34

Sharpness=0

Gamma=180

WhiteBalance=2770(Auto)

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=32

Frame Divisor=1

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=15.00

Exposure=-4

Brightness=161

Contrast=42

Hue=0

Saturation=0

Sharpness=0

Gamma=180

WhiteBalance=2845(Auto)

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=4

• 1 month later...

post-26268-0-30038000-1363688840.jpeg

Managed this the other night using the 200P and XBox cam. It is much easier now I have done the lazy susan modification. Showing up a bit green on my work monitor, weird.

Used SharpCap and managed about 900 decent frames using Virtual Dub, Castrator and AS2 (if i recall correctly!)

• 10 months later...

Just to revive this wonderful thread again:

here's my brother's first jupiter, shot with a webcam-style camera on an 8" meade SCT.

the first version (also on this site) is how it looked after stacking

the second version is after photoshop processing

Lesson learnt: don't throw your pics away if you don't like them.

get.jpg

Archived