SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first M57!

garyscott

Yes it's a great sight, I found it difficult to find the first time, until you realise it's not a fuzzy star and I use high power EP normally 10mm which brings out the ring nicely. I now use M57, M13 & M31 as test objects for seeing conditions. M57 is very useful for a test object, because once you resolve the smoke ring depending on seeing conditions and site, depends on how much detail you can see. From a Dark Sky site it's a stunning object to view.

What scope were you using and was it easy to find? I must do more observing and less photos.

Skywatcher 130P, Alt/Az mounted. 3x Barlow and a wide angle EP. Fairly easy to find after consulting Stellarium! Just find Vega, and once i knew where that was i just "aimed off" to where Stellarium said it would be and Hey Presto! An easily defined grey ring that could only have been M57.(Grey to my eye). Not a dark site where i am, but being outside of a town in the "sticks", its fairly dark.....just if only the clouds would b**ger off,:icon_salut:, when its good seeing here, its GOOD.

I used a Sky-Watcher 130p also when I found it, 10mm EP to locate then x2 barlow to view.

It's only slightly better in the 200p a more defined ring and whispy center, and under really good conditions, nearly the center core, but hard to tell.

Ray

I'm getting a sky-watcher 200p next week having viewed it with the 130p which was my first scope and a 10mm with the 2x barlow, now gone back to upgrade to the 200p and hoping for a better view of it. My be some better quality lenses would help matters with a trans-matter cloud dispersant gun!:o

What scope were you using and was it easy to find? I must do more observing and less photos.

Despite it's small size, M57 isn't to hard to find. First, locate Vega (in Lyra), which is easy as it's one of the brightest stars up there. Just off to the side of Vega there are two semi-bright stars, Sulafat and Sheliak. M57 is just about in the middle of these two, as marked in the image below by a green square...

lyra.gif

Hope this is useful to someone :o

Very good Geno, glad it helped. You would have a better view than I do with the Mak. It's only just visible in mine, but the extra aperture of your scope should make for a brighter view :o

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, well M57- something else I didn't really know it was possible to observe with the 130mm. Well apart from in someones expert review.

I'm hoping for some very clear winter nights. Never mind the cold!

Thanks for map, Revs. I know where Lyra is relative to Cygnus but that's the best set of directions I've seen.

:-)

You're welcome :) Just make sure you get out early :mad:. M57 is getting lower as the winter comes, so get your scope cooled and ready to view for 7pm, as after 8pm it's gonna be too low (<30deg Alt) to pick out.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived