1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

M31 3min unguided

Earl

That's promising :o 3 mins is good unguided in anyones book.

Were the 7 good shots even spaced through the 20? If the trailing is actually Periodic Error, you might be able to work it to go slightly longer. You'd need to watch a live star image through something you can use as a reference, like a crosshair eyepiece or a webcam.

That's promising :o 3 mins is good unguided in anyones book.

Were the 7 good shots even spaced through the 20? If the trailing is actually Periodic Error, you might be able to work it to go slightly longer. You'd need to watch a live star image through something you can use as a reference, like a crosshair eyepiece or a webcam.

Im going to have a look at that ill post my results.

1 Good 2 Good 3 Good 4 bad 5 bad 6 bad 7 bad 8 bad 9 Good 10 bad 11 bad 12 bad 13 bad 14 Good 15 Good 16 bad 17 bad 18 bad 19 bad 20 Good

Edited by Earl

I don't know how you do this. It's amazing. Any tips? Please? :o

Cool shot.

To be honest the breakthrough for me was learning how the polar scope in my EQ6 works, and how to relate what i am seeing with my eyes and where things should be.

The key point which I had totally forgotten about is the image in the polar scope is a 180 degree rotation of reality, when that penny dropped Polar alignment became so much easier.

Making sure the Tripod is level is also very important. this is the next thing i want to tackle as adjusting tripod legs is a joke, its doable but so horrible inaccurate.

I dont drift align as of yet, that is on my list of things to do, but im not sure its worth the effort at my present point of learning and ability.

One last thing for me is to be as far away from the scope as possible witg all the controls setup at a table and chair, so walking casues no vibration etc.

That's a beautiful single sub... Especially unguided! Have you been tempted to stack / process the subs you have or are you going to make us wait? :(

I can currently only manage about 90s with my CG5 (on a good night), but I'm thinking I need to start from scratch with my setup, starting with the alignment of the polarscope and then find a night where I have reasonably good alignment and then PEC train the mount.... and although the mount has a bubble, I guess it wouldn't hurt to check its accuracy as well...

I suppose I really ought to try drift alignment too (in order to depend a little less on luck when polar aligning!) :(

One last thing for me is to be as far away from the scope as possible witg all the controls setup at a table and chair, so walking casues no vibration etc.
I can second that - It would be nice if you could monitor everything from an armchair by the fire at this time of the year, but I don't think I could afford to run cables to my nearest dark(ish) sky site :(