Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

AstroTiger

Wisbech Catering Arrangements and other things

hi all,

I have tried to keep threads on Wissy to the minumum, but catering is something which needs to be discussed.

There is an on site takeaway which is available, it runs for much of the week day, but closes early at weekends.

There is no restaurant as such but a communal area where food can be eaten and of course its bought to your tent.

I did ask about a BBQ and NO charcoal ones are allowed. They have some ethanol fuel on they allow instead which small scale BB's can be rented for the stay.

These are a little small to cater for a rally like this.

What i've tried to do to remedy the issue is

pm'd someone on here who i believe might be able to sort something, if not please volunteer if you can.

I have emailed the campsite asking if they can keep their takeaway facility open a while for people to order some lunch at least.

There is an ASDA nearby where food can be bought, but clearly on a sunday its going to close early (4pm)

As for myself i am bringing all i anticipate needing foodwise.

If anyone has ideas other than the above i am open to them.

The suprise as i pointed out is the robotic telescope facilties kindly provided by Andrew Dumbleton and myself.

I have booked the Faulkes Telescope for Friday afternoon and Sunday morning for those interested. I also intend to stream it live if people from SGL are interested.

There is also a talk on Robotic Astronomy (subject to change), but there will be a talk, that or jupiter me thinks as its visible in the night sky.

Raffle - yes there will be one prices will include

Eyes on the Skies book and DVD

15 years of hubble and DVD

cosmic collisions and hidden universe

Plus a planetary ep, kindly donated by Alan Wilson of Skies the Limit

tickets will be sold as £3 per strip of 5 or £5 strip of 8.

other than this not much else to report, can;t give all the suprises away. :-)

As for beginners (i have a few things for you ;-)

Look forward to seeing you there.

the FB group has more info if people would like to join that.

Thank you to all those who have pm'd offered of Help.

Haitch - Great idea, yes please bring it, see if we can fill it with mince or something

Chez/ Mal - will call tonight to discusss the idea you have.

Wisbech has also said they will keep their shop open for a while longer for breakfast for those who want it :icon_salut:

Unlike the weather, its looking good. :-)

Thanks again to all the above.

Hi All

With Astro Tiger Permission:)

Food wise: for Wisbech.

How do you feel about Homemade

Chili-con-carne Rice and Naan Bread

Or

Chicken Curry Rice and Naan Bread

(will not make it too hot)

Fri and Sat evening meal between 6-7 PM

(Thought it might help you guys in tents)

But we want to know how many? and what you want?

And if for Both nights?

We Don't Want to make too much or too little.

it will be £2 a tray,to cover costs,

Let me know ASAP by P.M.

Any moneys left over will be Donated

to My Local Dog Rescue I Have Dealings with.

Thanks and See You there

Chez/Malc

to clarify i have asked Malc and Chez to do this as i fear that as nice as the site food is, there are limited arrangements for the night time.

At least it gives people a little sustainance after a long drive or just before or even during a nights stargazing :icon_salut:

I for one look forward to some :-)

to clarify i have asked Malc and Chez to do this as i fear that as nice as the site food is, there are limited arrangements for the night time.

At least it gives people a little sustainance after a long drive or just before or even during a nights stargazing :(

I for one look forward to some :-)

Count me in on whatever is doing. Not too hot? Ok I'll bring my own jar of jalapenos to chuck in my dish :icon_salut:

Hi All

With Astro Tiger Permission:)

Food wise: for Wisbech.

How do you feel about Homemade

Chili-con-carne Rice and Naan Bread

Or

Chicken Curry Rice and Naan Bread

(will not make it too hot)

Fri and Sat evening meal between 6-7 PM

(Thought it might help you guys in tents)

But we want to know how many? and what you want?

And if for Both nights?

We Don't Want to make too much or too little.

it will be £2 a tray,to cover costs,

Let me know ASAP by P.M.

Any moneys left over will be Donated

to My Local Dog Rescue I Have Dealings with.

Thanks and See You there

Chez/Malc

Both nights and I'm not fussed what but not the same on both nights. :icon_salut:

Haitch, that burner will still be useful though i think, if you dont mind please bringing it.

Colin is also taking a twin hot plate just in case :-)

I will be taking a nice jar of jelopinos too! cant have a chilli without them now can you!

yum yum

Haitch, that burner will still be useful though i think, if you dont mind please bringing it.

Colin is also taking a twin hot plate just in case :-)

I will be taking a nice jar of jelopinos too! cant have a chilli without them now can you!

yum yum

Will do. Weather is better today so I just got it out to take a photo so you can see what the burner looks like (the outer ring is a little bigger than I thought at just over 40cm btw).

My biggest downfall with jalapenos is when I get the munchies in the early hours I will sometimes just eat them from the jar and then regret it the next day :icon_salut:.

post-14514-133877487567_thumb.jpg

post-14514-133877487576_thumb.jpg

post-14514-133877487586_thumb.jpg

Oh, and the talk of jalapenos reminds me... I've got plenty of gas. :icon_salut:

No mention of any beer yet....we might need a couple of kegs!

Ah, excellent, are you volunteering Bill? lol

Thats very nice of you.

there is a asda up the road :(

Aha indeed, a nice crate of 24 cans then! On a serious note though, there is a small matter of doing a bit of observing so I might have to take it easy on the ale, don`t want to be falling about in the dark trashing all me gear.:icon_salut:

I was looking to Buy some Real ale so this might just fit the bill, 17 Pints is a fair bit lol

I was looking to Buy some Real ale so this might just fit the bill, 17 Pints is a fair bit lol

Even with just 2 people the 17 pint gives just over 4 pints a night each so not quite as bad as it sounds.

Wondering if they sell it bright or live. If bright it'd need to be drunk fairly quickly and if live it would take some time to settle before drinking.

My trouble is I don't usually take to anything under about 5% - current favourite tipple is our local microbrewery's (backyard brewhouse - beer - microbrewery - staffordshire hoard - HOME) IPA at 6.2% so I'd have to go for the Greyhound...Hmmm, 4 pints a night of that might be ok if it's cloudy but could be excessive if I'm observing!

Come to think of it I might pop down tomorrow and see if they can set me up with a box of IPA although they only brew that one occasionally.

There is a pub in the site, not sure what the hours are though.

I'm a lager man myself, so will likely bring some holsten pils thats more my tipple these days.

As Bill said though there is the small matter of some observing to do, i was a little ratted at previous SP, and remember its not the best way to be.

So it will be coffee for me if clear (with one or two bevvies later)

If not it will be bevvies.

Chipping in for a keg for yourselves sounds an idea though.

I think I recall something about alcohol not being good for dark adaptation too so if the skies are clear I shall certainly be taking it easy! If not, then my sorrows may need drowning.

looked at the weather on met check

Fri not too good alot of cloud and showers ;-(

but Sat night looks ok clear ;-)

so drink all your ale Fri..lol

But you never know it could all change.

My hope is...all this rain is going to blow itself out midweek then we are left with a nice October weekend, chilly but ideal. I will be straight onto bagging comet Hartley then be checking out some of Jupiter`s moons activities, then bag some deep sky objects. I have a few elusive globulars in mind.