SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What was I watching?

Dons255

Ok, possibly a daft question - had a break in the clouds last night, went out to take a look at the moon (first time it's been visible recently)...

Anyhow, very bright (no, not Jupiter!) 'twinkly' point of light with red, green & yellow glow (not flashing, kinda like a rainbow halo around the object).

Quite stationary in the sky, so automatically discarded an aeroplane (although I suppose it could have been flying straight at/from my position).

Watched it for a good 30 mins trying to decide what I was looking at, any suggestions?

Betelgeuse would I think have been a bit low to be seen - unless on the fens or similar.

Aldebaran is a good candidate. Did you notice a cluster to the right of it? Pleiades? Will say that I thought Aldebaran was orangy in tone.

Another is Capella, that was up and is bright and if thin cloud then you could get the halo round it.

Aldebaran is a good candidate. Did you notice a cluster to the right of it? Pleiades? Will say that I thought Aldebaran was orangy in tone.

The Hyades cluster is directly west* of Aldebaran (degree or two), but they are a bit less noticable than the Pleiades, which are about 15 degrees west of the Aldebaran.

Remember being fantastically chuffed when I 'discovered' the Hyades one of the first times I used a telescope :icon_salut:

* That is celestial west, not geographic west, i.e. along the celestial equator.

Archived