Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is the Universe infinate or finite

Earl

In my understanding the universe is still expanding, and star formation etc occurs when certain elements etc come together, therefore if the universe is expanding wouldnt it eventually expand that far that the elements to create new stars etc are too far apart for this too happen?

Jonathon..

We have to face the fact that we will come up against the boundary of the unknowable at some point and when this happens what then? The fact that we came from star dust and now posses an imagination is to me utterly amazing and cause for a celebration..yay star Party!:o

In my understanding the universe is still expanding, and star formation etc occurs when certain elements etc come together, therefore if the universe is expanding wouldnt it eventually expand that far that the elements to create new stars etc are too far apart for this too happen?

Jonathon..

Yes, I think that's right.

Jonathon..

Not once 'chunks' of the Universe (i.e. galaxies/galaxy clusters) have decoupled themselves from the expansion by gravity -- then they can continue to collapse together and form new stars. Of course, they will eventually run out of gas, and the star formation will stop.

In this scenario you end up all the galaxies in one group/cluster eventually merging into one super-massive galaxy, with no other galaxies in the sky because they've expanded beyond the visible horizon of the Universe...

That does change if you start to introduce 'vacuum pressure' as a cosmological constant -- then eventually you can end up ripping atoms apart with that force; gruesome end...

Archived