Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Laser Collimator

Geno

When purchasing my new scope it was collimated with a Baader Laser Collimator. I have read somewhere that some laser collimators require collimating themselves. Does anyone have experience using this collimator and does it need collimating.

I have used one and and the example I had was out of collimation - it is not easy to collimate the Baader Laser's because of their shape - the paperwork with it actually suggests that you return it to the factory !. I've a standard Revelation one now which has also needed collimating but it's symmetrical shape makes that easier to achieve.

Collimating should be fairly easy providing the collimator itself is symmetrical, as John has already mentioned.

The theory is to create a rig that the collimator can be placed into and then rotated. The idea being to watch the laser dot and the path it scribes when being rotated. If it scribes a circle then it needs collimating, if it remains as a dot then its fine.

I think thats the crux of it, I havent done it myself and hope what I have said is correct :icon_salut:

HTH

The shape of the Baader does make it awkward to collimate. I used a small bench lathe. With the laser clamped in the lathe and with the beam shining through the headstock onto the wall it was a fairly simple if tedious process to collimate it.

The greatest weakness of the Baader is that the laser diode does dim to the point of making it useless after a couple of years. I've now replaced mine with a Hotech.

John

Archived