Tube cap celestron 127

Hi all,

On my Celestron 127 Powerseeker the telescope tube has like all i assume, a plastic cover over the end, which in turn has 2 smaller dust caps on. One of the smaller ones removes the other doesnt seem to, do these serve any purpose? cant fiind anything in the handbook.

Thank you.

If you keep the main cap on and remove the small cap it reduces the brightness of the moon or planets. Makes it more comfortable to look at - especially a full moon.

Otherwise I find it useful to remove the small cap and get a good grip for removing the main cap. Some people use a filter on the small hole to look at the sun - but be very careful with that - you must have the right filters or you'll damage either the equipment or your eyesight - irrepairably.

Thank you,

Shall have to give that a try with the moon just for the experience, should we ever see the moon again that is.

It's worth trying it but do remember that you are "stopping down" the scope to around 50mm or so in aperture so that will effect resolution and contrast as well as reducing the brightness of the moon.

Archived