SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

starting to tease out the detail in Jupiter

AlexM

I'd nearly given up on last night when I went out for a last look at 1am gmt and discovered the clouds had cleared to the South. Seeing was 'ok' - the moon was clearly 'under water' at 240x. Turning to Jupiter I realised I could easily see the NEB at 37.5X - most encouraging. Bumping the mag up to 240x in the 5mm hyperion, the reddish brown NEB was showing good evidence of festoons and there was a dark line underneath it(perhaps the Northern temperate belt?) before the polar shading started. The shading around both poles showed hints of being 'mottled' at points. No sign this time of a trace of the SEB and presumably the wrong time for the GRS. The eyepiece captured the 4 main moons beautifully, and the orb of Jupiter was obviously flattened. I can't believe how large the planet looked in the lens. I turned in about 2.15 feeling satisfied!

AlexM,

I was observing Jupiter tonight. Seeing was pretty good tonight and I did see the line you think might be the northern temperate belt. I can't tell you if that is what you saw, but I saw it too. It was very dark and very thin, but parallel to the northern equatorial belt. I described it to my wife as a line created by a ball point pen that was running out of ink . It had gaps in parts of the line but was very distinct.

I've been observing Jupiter for several years off and on, and I can tell you I've never seen anything quite like it.

I had good views of Jupiter last night, could work out the orange bands with my 200p dob but the light from the planet does dazzle my eyes - are any of you using a filter to see Jupiter in more detail with your ep?

AlexM,

I was observing Jupiter tonight. Seeing was pretty good tonight and I did see the line you think might be the northern temperate belt. I can't tell you if that is what you saw, but I saw it too. It was very dark and very thin, but parallel to the northern equatorial belt. I described it to my wife as a line created by a ball point pen that was running out of ink .

Your description of a biro running out of ink is a great way of describing what I saw. It came and went with the seeing and is in about the right place. I've only been observing for about a year now and I'm really finding that observing detail is slowly improving with practice.

I had good views of Jupiter last night, could work out the orange bands with my 200p dob but the light from the planet does dazzle my eyes - are any of you using a filter to see Jupiter in more detail with your ep?

80A is a good filter for Jupiter and is recommended to view the GRS.

You should get plenty detail from your 200p Peter. The atmosphere plays a big part as even if it's a clear night there may be turbulence 40000 ft up.

This was taken through my 200 personally I've found viewing Jupiter better with my 200 over my 250 but I found the view of Uranus better with the 250 over the 200 :( but that again may have been due to upper atmosphere.

Well I cant seem to get Jupiter larger than 4-5mm in size in any eyepiece, i've tried using my 24mm through 8mm zoom eyepiece, even with a 3x barlow (which seems pretty useless) How can i get Jupiter to appear bigger ?

BTW this is using my 300P DOB.

Well I cant seem to get Jupiter larger than 4-5mm in size in any eyepiece, i've tried using my 24mm through 8mm zoom eyepiece, even with a 3x barlow (which seems pretty useless) How can i get Jupiter to appear bigger ?

BTW this is using my 300P DOB.

I use a 5mm hyperion in a fl 1200mm 250 dob after some fairly rigorous collimation. This gives me 240x mag I think. I find that at 200x plus mag I can get decent views if the seeing is good and I concentrate.

STEALTH. You are seeing Jupiter larger than you think. Jupiter is getting towards 1 minute of arc in diameter, the Moon is 30 minutes of arc so with a mag of say 50x Jupiter will appear larger than the Moon as seen with the naked eye! :D

... Jupiter will appear larger than the Moon as seen with the naked eye! :p

;) Sorry Peter, but that particular phrase really made me giggle.. it reads like one of those sensationalistic emails that gets passed around for eons. :D:)

(... we now return you to your regularly scheduled program :D )

Archived