Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Euan

NGC6888: The Crescent Nebula Widefield (Ha)

I still have a few gremlins to sort out before Kielder, a bit of tilt that I can't seem to track down and a weird spike effect in DEC that is causing it to guide slightly worse than in RA

Despite this I managed to squeeze a quick two hours Ha on the Crescent Nebula. I've never imaged this area before and I'm surprised at how much nebulosity there is, a mosaic could be on the cards here

Camera: Atik 383L+ Mono with 1.25" 7nm Baader Ha

Scope: Skywatcher Equinox 80 with Televue TRF-2008

Mount: EQ6 with EQMOD

Guiding: Orion ST80 with QHY5

Capture Software: CCD Commander, Maxim DL

Processing Software: Deep Sky Stacker, PixInsight

Exposures: 6 x 1200 secs (2 Hours)

Dithering: 1 pixel per sub

Calibration: None (yet)

5025887624_b16074a92d_b.jpg

Edited by Euan

I think I love the background of the crescent more than I love the crescent, and this shows it off to the full!

Wow, I had no idea there's so much nebulosity! I'm planning on having a go at this myself but I'm going to have to rethink my plan - a mosaic is a definite!

Very, very nice :)

I think I love the background of the crescent more than I love the crescent, and this shows it off to the full!

Totally agree, but the Crescent is really singing in this rendition and just 'hanging there' in space. I love that 3D look. Splendid picture.

Olly

Wot a lot u got! That 383 is starting to earn its keep i'd say :)

Nice shot Euan, very well presented.

Thanks for the comments. I've gave it a bit of a re-do I was getting carried away with the Dark Structure Enhance in PI and it was clipping a bit of detail

I got 7 x 20mins of O3, which I've tried to make a bi-colour with, but the moon was too bright and the O3 data was rubbish, hence the puffed up stars to try and push it a bit more

It's hard going this narrowband lark!

5025882780_8eea0c1c68_b.jpg