Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Great night tonight

Keithp

Well, really enjoying myself tonight:hello2:,..typing this in the darkness...well okay there is a full moon and luckiliy I can touch type....good ol' Royal Mail. Just trying to nail drift alignment down on the pier...here for the night.

Anyone else up and out?

What a difference an observatory/shed makes looking forward to the winter and clear skys

Regards

Keithp

Thick cloud wasn't clearing, so went to bed 2:00 am.

Woke up just before 4:00 am to stars out the window. Got up, dressed, grabbed the ST120 and the 38mm 2" EP, headed out the door, and the gap disappearing over the horizon being quickly chased off by yet more thick cloud. /sigh

I had a cracking night watching Io transit Jupiter, despite a few patches of bad seeing. Io's shadow was almost exactly in the centre of Jupiter at 2240 and from there I watched it pretty much all the time until Io emerged at about 0050. In fact, for the last hour or so I could actually see Io itself quite clearly, as well as its shadow. And there was an interesting illusion, caused by the angle of the sun: Io appeared so close to its own shadow that it gave the impression of being REALLY close to Jupiter's surface. It was hard to convince myself that the moon doesn't really skim the clouds!

Of course, a session that doesn't end with ice all over the scope just doesn't feel the same...

I was working quite comfortably at 200x last night (5mm Baader ortho). Every now and again there was a period of shimmering, but in the times when it settled it was pretty stable at that magnification and Jupiter looked great. It's interesting that you couldn't manage as much magnification - perhaps we were luckier in my part of the country.

BTW, if the cold is beating you now, it might be time to invest in some thermals for the coming months :)

was just saying that to my wife, need some warm clothes for tonight lol, as for the mag when I used my 6mm tmb it was really shimmery even the moon showed small shimmers, We had rain and cloud not long before the dark set it and then the clouds just dissapeared, looks better today so hears hoping, The moon will wash out any DSO again though..

Archived