Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M45 -Kelling SP 2010

Tim

This was one of my intended targets for the holiday, as the Borg 77 would offer a nice FOV for it. As it was, the data had to be gathered over a couple of nights, and conditions weren't perfect, so I only managed to grab 3x600s and 8x900s.

Around M45 there is a load of additional dust which reflects the light from the cluster, but it is tricky to capture, hence the 15 min subs. The CLS filter used has left a halo on the brighter stars, I think, might have to try without it and compare. At any rate, I was pleased to see a little of the extra dust showing up, even with the limited amount of subs. Had to use a bit more NR than usual due to shortage of data though.

Borg 77EDII +DGL 0.85 reducer, QHY8. Stacked in DSS, processed in Pixinsight, final touches in PS.

Thanks for looking.

Tim

post-14037-133877485928_thumb.jpg

I was beginning to think you had a barren Kelling TJ, then you produce this without as much as an Abracadabra.;)

Quite a condensed M45, but it's all there in it's beautiful glory.

I didn't even know you owned a Borg.

That's A1 at Lloyds maty.

Ron.:):icon_salut:.

Oh well done. That dust is really evasive. On my image in progress my smaller field makes it look like vignetting so I will need a mosaic!

I imagine that stellar winds from the cluster have created the dust void that shows so well here.

Olly

Thanks all :icon_salut:

Tell me about it Olly, from here at home I dont think it is possible to pick any of it up, i'll try again with the Borg though, these scopes seem especially capable when it comes to really faint stuff. I had to check that great M45 APOD from 2008 to makes sure the dust here wasn't a vignetting artifact! There's a lot more to be had, so I am very much looking forward to what you can get of it :(

Thanks all :icon_salut:

Tell me about it Olly, from here at home I dont think it is possible to pick any of it up, i'll try again with the Borg though, these scopes seem especially capable when it comes to really faint stuff. I had to check that great M45 APOD from 2008 to makes sure the dust here wasn't a vignetting artifact! There's a lot more to be had, so I am very much looking forward to what you can get of it :(

Was that Danny Marquardt's image? Sadly the young man died of cancer in his twenties. His robotic setup was only about 15km from me in a straight line.

Again I'm knocked out by your image because I got quite a solid run at it in August but do need to get back to it and get more field. 15 minute subs! I thought I was being daring with 10... Maybe worth trying some shorts to get close into the stars? I had a quick play with this idea but so far with inconclusive results.

Olly

Archived