SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

LIVE Jupiter GRS & transit obs 22:49 Friday

Rob

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The seeing is awsume.. got worried when the cloud came over and the wind got up. have to say I would have been gutted if I packed up!.. it is cold, even the laptop here on my plastic garden chair is getting cold.

Clear up here in the NW for a change. Seeing pretty awful initially although transparency good, hardly any scatter round the Moon. Nearly gave it up but perservered when the GRS hove into view. Saw Io creep on to the planet and was surprised just how bright the moon was. Seeing gradually improved but the image was still unsteady, lots of detail to be glimpsed. Io followed by its shadow, almost touching due to the limb forshortening. Colours much more evident probably due to the transparency, GRS very pink. (16" SCT x150 in binoviewer)

Yep me too, Watched it the whole way across the surface chasing the GRS, Seeing was not great so had to stick to the 10mm at x120 but the 20mm was much sharper but struggled to see Io with it, A real treat for me second time out with scope and both time the transit and GRS at same time.. Beat by the cold and dam does that Moon wash out the sky was hoping for my first view of M51, I couldn't even find Andromeda!!

I watched part of this last night but the seeing was incredibly bad. Max power possible was 120x but 100x was true limit of a sharp view. Saw the shadow and GRS together which was nice and a hint of finer detail but in all honesty not a good night for me. Went out at 10.30 for 15mins and gave up. Went out again at 11.30 and the seeing was no better. Packed up for good at 11.50.

Spoke with Adam in Stubbington and he had the same problem. Awful seeing and confirmed his best power was 100x with all his scopes. Nice tie up.

The most stunning part of last night was watching Io move relative to Jupiter. It's orbital speed must be phenomenal. No wonder Io is so tidally stressed.

Astronomers often talk about Titan being a frozen view of the early Earth because of its methane atmosphere. But I wonder if Io with its extreme volcanism is also another view of an even earlier Earth - surely young protoplanets must look a bit like this when they are still hot from formation?

Archived